Sie liebt es, Lieder zu singen.

English Translation

She loves to sing songs.

Is that how they speak in their day-to-day conversations?

I’m not sure what you mean, but yes, this is a perfectly valid German sentence and an accurate translation of the English original.

You could alternatively also say “Sie singt gerne Lieder”.

1 Like

Yes, this seems a lot more natural. The exercises sentence sounds like some kind of poem for ears used only with English. “She loves that, to sing songs”.
(And I know German is not English, this is just a impression and the reason for ask the asking.)
Thank you!

Ah, now I understand better what you mean. :slightly_smiling_face:

You’re very welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:

Both sentences are very common in German and the differences are nuances. So yes, Germans really do speak like that in day-to-day-conversations. :slightly_smiling_face: Speaking like that is not reserved just for poems or old-fashioned fairy-tales.

I agree with you that “Sie singt gerne Lieder” feels more natural und goes more smoothly over the lips. It feels more casual than “Sie liebt es, Lieder zu singen”.

Imagine a new co-worker asks you what your hobbies are. You would probably say:

“Ich spiele gerne Basketball.”

You probably wouldn’t say “Ich liebe es, Basketball zu spielen.”

But if you enjoy “people-watching”, just observing strangers in public places, you’d tell your friend “Ich liebe es, Leute zu beobachten.” You wouldn’t say “Ich beobachte gerne Leute.” That would kind of lack the emphasis.

Now imagine two lovers. The woman could tell her boyfriend “Ich liebe es, dir zuzuhören.” She wouldn’t say “Ich höre dir gerne zu”. That would again lack some emphasis.

It’s nuanced when to use which. But they are both commonly used in everyday-conversations.

1 Like

Wow, very very well explained, Mr. @davidculley! :sweat_smile:
I am obliged!

1 Like