Sie hat aus mir einen Star gemacht.

The English translation seems incorrect.

Is it “She made me a star”? As far as I can judge, this is an authentic English phrase that reflects the German sentence just right. :slight_smile:

I don’t know what the original English translation is but the above German sentence is written in the Present Perfect. This means in this example that the action started and completed in the past and its effects are continuing to this day. “I am still a star”. Your translation seems correct but you could also say: She has made a star of me, or she has made me a star.

I find the Germans will often use present perfect tense where we in English would use simple past tense. The meaning is the same, even though there may be some subtle semantic differences:

She made me a star (past tense could imply “but I am no longer a star today”)

She has made me a star (present perfect implies “and I am still a star now”)

Sie machte aus mir einen Star (aber heute bin ich kein Star mehr)

Sie hat aus mir einen Star gemacht (und auch heute noch bin ich ein Star)

However! The English simple past can be perfectly interchangeable in meaning with present perfect: “She made me a star” (and I’m still a star today)

1 Like

It is absolutely true that the difference in the German sentences are subtle and rules are less straight than in English.
Nevertheless I would explan the nuances slightly different:

Sie machte aus mir einen Star (but has no influence anymore):
That would be a sentence in e.g. in an obituary.
Sie hat aus mir einen Star gemacht (and is still my most important critic).

I don’t know, if I succeded in making it clear, but in this example the stress is on the “continuing of her and not of me”.

3 Likes

Oh - yes, I hadn’t thought about it that way, but you’re right, it could work the same way in English also:

She made a star out of me (before she died)

She has made a star out of me (present perfect tense implies that she is still alive)

2 Likes