Si sono dati la mano.

English Translation

They shook hands with each other.

Although there are no examples of this in the corpus, I think you can also say “Si sono stretti la mano.”

3 Likes

ReversoContext has Si sono stretti la mano in a couple of examples. In CM search for la mano I found some even distribution of the sentences containing dare and stringere. Yet, CM did not offer the exact si sono stretti, but it does not make it wrong I guess.

3 Likes

Interestingly, when I stayed with a family a Firenze, and was introduced to Alessandra e Francesco, I just nodded and said “Hi” but Francesco laughed and reached forward, “Ma dai, signorina, in Italy we always give the hand”. Always remembered it along with “Dammi del tu”.

5 Likes

Yes, also the kiss :grinning:

5 Likes

Magari non mi deve baciare sentence is a recent addition to the kiss collections in CM given the current state of events. Purtroppo.

1 Like

Sadly even in the pre-mask “good old days” Brits were not comfortable at close-quarter greetings. As a “tactile”, the hand and the kiss is fine with me.

4 Likes

A firm handshake is quite enough, thank you :wink:

4 Likes

Not too firm, mind, and not for too long;-DD

3 Likes
English Translation

They shook hands with each other.

I have seen “stringere” mostly used when it’s from one person’s POV (he shook my hand). This seems to have mutuality. Even in English you can say either “we shook hands” or “I shook his hand” and they have different shades of meaning.

I am reading “Il Disprezzo” by Moravia right now (excellent!), and there are many examples of rather unwilling hand shaking - in that case I don’t think “dare”: would be used.