Si accomodi.

“Do come in”, is that the most likely English translation?

1 Like

Yes indeed. It’s one of Montalbano’s favourite polite expressions when suspects are brought into his office for a chat;-)

2 Likes

I really should start watching Montalbano again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sì sì. While a lot of it is in Sicillian, it is amazing how much more one can understand some of the Italian chat even simple things like “'Che c’è?”, “Si accomodi” and “Ma dai, Fazio!” when he gets his notebook out.

A dopo…

2 Likes

Yes, actually encountered this used as such in some clip yesterday :wink: though of course don’t recall the clip in question, sorry.

2 Likes

Having looked at a couple of Montalbano episodes, I have already heard it a lot. But maybe a third of the times, it’s used to ask a guest to take a seat, so I think it’s more generally useful.

It should be noted that at Tatoeba, the phrase is originally a translation from the German equivalent of “Please make yourself comfortable”.

2 Likes

Assolutamente! It’s rather a pleasant and polite greeting. I always notice that Salvo shakes hands to go with the welcome. It would be interesting to see how he would cope in these Covid times - it would make life very dull for ladies man Augello no? :wink:

2 Likes