Se tu avessi premuto quel pulsante il motore si sarebbe fermato.

This is a good sentence to learn the use of the conditional. However, it doesn’t quite match the translation, “If you pressed that button, the engine would stop”, because the tenses are not the same: the Italian reasons about an event in the past, whereas the English refers to a potential action in the present; it is closer to “If you press that button, the engine will stop.”

1 Like

Ciao @morbrorper, come va? This is very interesting. I immediately read this as “If you had pressed that button the engine would stop” mainly cos I’ve trained myself not to think back to English. So I always see “sarebbe” as “would”. I’ll do some more thinking. Oh the joys of Italian tenses;-)

2 Likes

I see now I forgot to spell out my translation, which is “If you had pressed that button, the engine would have stopped”.

3 Likes

Ciao di nuovo @morbroper. And I forgot to write “would have stopped” :slight_smile: I have a book called “Read and Think Italian” and it has helped enormously with tenses, as have comments from others here. The tenses and sentence constructions are a constant work of arte! Such a beautiful language. A dopo…

3 Likes