Schweizerdeutsch - possibilities for Clozemaster?

Wow! I’ve only just discovered this and have felt my German really getting embedded in this brain of mine since I started using Clozemaster two weeks ago! Actually an amazing difference.

And so many languages too: my question is, what are the odds of getting some Schweizerdeutsch on here? I know it’s typically only an oral language, that there’s loads of dialects, and that it has hardly any speakers but… boy, would that make my life easier… (if only so I can understand what the heck the locals are speaking about!).

3 Likes

Hello, welcome to the community!

(yapping :arrow_down::arrow_down::arrow_down:)

First off, an important thing you need to know is that Clozemaster uses sentences from Tatoeba, a website where people voluntarily translate sentences from one language to another (sometimes to their native language and other times not). This is very important because some sentences may sound a bit off to you either due to improper translation or because they have been translated from your target language to another language and then to yours.

For instance, German to Spanish and then from Spanish to English.

But don’t worry about this, Clozemaster provides you the direct link to the original sentence in Tatoeba, and you can check if it was translated directly to your language.

As I mentioned, the sentences are from Tatoeba, and unless you’re a native speaker, you can’t tell if it is Hochdeutsch, Schweizerdeutsch… but don’t worry because German is German. If you want to delve deeper into Swiss German, the best thing you can do is consume content from Switzerland. Besides, you can create your own sentences in the Cloze-Collections section and play only with your Swiss German sentences.

2 Likes

Thanks Mistah,

I politely disagree that unless you’re a native speaker you can’t hear the difference… German isn’t German and Schweizerdeutsch is a dialect distinct enough to be considered a different language! On paper it’s all the same!

But that doesn complicate the Tatoeba (since this is written, and their is no standardized written from of Schweizerdeutsch!).

So it goes - I learn Hochdeutsch and then handle the Swiss German later. I live in Switzerland and have been learning German for over a year and still have no idea what the locals are talking about. German friends who visit (and English friends who speak German who visit) also have no idea what’s going on… German isn’t German - the Swiss would be the first to tell you this!

Thanks for the comment though! :slight_smile:

2 Likes