Salvo che qui non è così semplice.

“Except that here, it’s not so simple.”

There seem to be very few examples of ‘salvo’, for ‘except’, in the corpus. Strange, isn’t it?

2 Likes

Interesting. "There was nobody in the piazza save for an icecream seller. (Save that here…) It’s almost like old English.

Ciao…

3 Likes

I’ve been struggling with this sentence every time I’ve encountered it (I’ve reset it at least once), indeed expecting it to be something else, like “Tranne”. I can understand it indeed, in the way that @Floria7 pointed out, but it’s just never the first option that comes to my mind.

1 Like

Sindaco. Tranne is much easier no;-)

2 Likes

Except that here, it’s not so simple. It seems to be somewhat commonly used in procurement and banking transactions - which one can imagine having taken their form eons ago in the rise of the Industrial Age or earlier when this kind of archaic term would not have been out of place

From Treccani:

“Nella pratica mercantile: s. arrivo, formula con cui si qualifica una vendita di merce che viaggia o dovrà viaggiare per mare su nave designata o da designare dal venditore entro un determinato termine, vendita sottoposta alla condizione sospensiva del felice arrivo della nave al porto di destinazione; salvo errori e omissioni […] Altre clausole ricorrenti nella pratica mercantile e in contratti sono di facile intuizione: salvo conferma, salvo disdetta, salvo imprevisti, salvo rinuncia, salvo (cause di) forza maggiore, ecc.”

2 Likes