Post your goals and achievments!

Even though we have this great forum, it isn’t used very much for social interaction. I thought it might be fun to start a thread to humble-brag about our Clozemaster breakthroughs, no matter what they might be.

Myself, I strove to be in the top 100 all-time in German, and hit it not too long ago, and now I’m aiming for top 500 all-time overall and top 50 all-time in German.

What are your goals?
What milestone or personal achievement have you made on Clozemaster?

4 Likes

I used to have goals about hitting rankings, but I realized comparison is the death of joy. I’d like to finish the fluent fast track in Portuguese, keep working my way through spanish and french collections in sequence, and offline I’d like to learn enough german grammar that clozemaster practice is worth it. Right now I don’t know enough about rules with cases. After I finish Nicos Weg on DW A2 I think I will be ready to add German to my languages.

4 Likes

My current goal is to finish (play and “master”) the 50,000 most common and >50,000 most common categories for French, again! I’d done them before the update, but much of my progress has disappeared. I’m finding that having to start over with many of the sentences is good practice - I had by no means “mastered” them all even if the system said I had, and having them pop up only occasionally for review wasn’t enough revision for many of them.

If you hang around long enough and stick at it, you climb in the rankings pretty much as a matter of course, though every so often someone new will whiz past you. I really like the cumulative points aspect of Clozemaster, because it displays so tangibly what consistent effort brings. (I realise the goal here is to learn languages, but that can be a bit less tangible than a point score!)

Clozemaster inspired me to take up a couple of new languages after I was thoroughly impressed by users here who regularly practice so many!

Using the listening function has done more for improving my aural comprehension of French than anything else I’ve tried. When I started, most sentences were incomprehensible to me if I listened to the audio, even if I easily understood them when reading. Now I can understand most even at 1.5 or 2x speed.

7 Likes

Ha, nice thread!
Like jamesp999, when I pay too much attention to ranks, I end up unhappily wondering why I’m learning the language in the first place. For now I’d like to try to see Clozemaster as a simple vocabulary tool.

Anyhow, my goal for this month is to finish revising my 3500 reviews. Might take a little longer, but hey that’s ok.

3 Likes

Hit my top 500 overall and now striving for one million points in German.
I know that some don’t care for the goals/streaks etc and I can understand. But as long as one does not trade quality of learning for quantity, I personally find it to be a good thing.

3 Likes

Useless bragging, but it only happens once: I got one million points overall and 100,000 on Chinese-English!
Made my morning. :smiley:

6 Likes

Congrats. It takes a lot of dedication to get that million.

2 Likes

Hi LessPaul. Just found your post and was so glad to read it. I really haven’t anything to celebrate other than being happy to have chosen Cloze after getting lazy on Duo four years, and to be made so welcome. Enjoy Friday and the weekend.

Congrats indeed to illraon!

Later Ps. I deleted my humble-brag of 30 days but perhaps I’ll put it back in, if that’s OK. Day 1 here was only a trial run, and 29 days later, hooked. My Duo streak is 1465 but somehow this one is just as motivating.

3 Likes

I remember being motivated about the importance of being in the top hundred of the combined leaderboard. That was awhile ago… Now I can’t remember why it was important…

3 Likes

Sì sì, Romanophile. I feel much the same these days. I now use il mio slancio solely as mild discipline to keep me on track.

3 Likes

I want to complete the Fluency Fast Track 20,000 for both Japanese & French. Then, my goal will be to achieve a rolling 6-month period in which I feel I’m marking at least 80% of those mastered items as normal or easy. If I feel I’m marking more than 20% hard, my 6-month clock restarts. Why 6 months? I feel 6 months is about the time it will take me to go through an entire 20,000 sentence review cycle. I also have a wish that Clozemaster will offer Lifetime subscriptions before too long because I can see myself using this app a long time as a maintenance tool.

3 Likes

Hi Kimo. “Lifetime” would be a great idea as it’s going to take me a lifetime of learning to use everything Cloze offers. Good luck with your learning!

3 Likes

Ciao LessPaul. You asked about personal achievements or milestones… having acquired a few more days, I can add that Cloze has really woken me up after comfortably dozing too long with Duo, and my sole ambition is to talk fearlessly next time I’m in Italy. Also, the regular encouragement here from Followers is something else, and I thank them all. It’s good to talk;-)

2 Likes