Pop-ups - I like them! šŸ˜‰

Just as I hit a low patch, the generous upcheers from friends kept me going (thank you!), then came not only those crazy level-up popups but an even crazier personal pop from the one and only Kevin Bacon! What more could a girl ask for! Happy learning all!

4 Likes

Even though I generally hate pop-ups, I must admit I love the level-up clips here at Clozemaster.

4 Likes

Me too. Theyā€™re so frantically over-the-top that itā€™s impossible not to laugh along. A little humour goes a long way to pushing to the next level. Oh happy days!

3 Likes

Back at you. :grinning:

I know itā€™s a pointless (but mildly amusing) exercise, but Iā€™ve started to keep track of which videos I get at each level up. (Just so that itā€™s not TOTALLY trivial, I also track my total points at the time, overall position (more interesting in German than Italian; in Italian Iā€™ve been 5th for I canā€™t remember how long and am likely to stay there for a few months more, whereas in German Iā€™m still at that point where Iā€™m rocketing past those who came before me and abandoned the language), my number of sentences seen and my number mastered. Oh, and the number of sentences to the next level up, because I swear I have no idea how that system works beyond a certain point. I could have sworn that at one point I was needing 6 figures to make the next level in Italian, at present itā€™s closer to 45K, incrementing by a few hundred per level. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a pattern, but I havenā€™t been doing this long enough to really see it. In German, where Iā€™m still in double digits, I can see a predictable pattern emerging.)

A lot of them I feel ā€œmehā€ about, some are reasonably amusing, but for me the three that evoke a ā€œYes!ā€ response are:

• The clip from Top Gun where Maverick grabs Iceman;
  • Jackie Chan and Chris Rock singing along in a car (presumably from one of the Rush Hour movies which I havenā€™t actually seen, oddly enough, but anything with Jackie Chan is usually entertaining); and
  • A (presumably?) football coach in a green tie pumping the air. I have no idea who he is, what sport heā€™s in (NFL at a guess)? or what has motivated him to do so, but that always hits the right mood for me.

There arenā€™t any that I dislike, but Iā€™m afraid Kevin Bacon doesnā€™t make my top 3. (Though he would if the scene from Apollo 13, where he just heard that he was selected to replace Gary Sinise / Ken Mattingly on the mission - yes, that would DEFINITELY make my top 5.)

I think some of them work better if you understand the reference too; Some of the (US version) The Office clips would probably leave players with jaws dropped if they didnā€™t understand who the people were. (Not that thatā€™s an intrinsically bad thing.) There are some which I still have no clue about the origin of.

1 Like

Ciao LuciusV, I confess to not understanding all the figures, I tend to go with the flow and hope for the best. I like your popup descriptions - mine include three crazy gals in tracksuits screaming and jumping on/off a chair, four office staff losing it completely and a large guy in a suit perhaps watching football and beating the air and his chest and going totally ott. I was so surprised to see Kevin B that I forget what he was doing. Luv em all, they really are very funny and light relief. Iā€™ll try n remember the next one and update you. (yelling!) Bye!

2 Likes

I think thatā€™s my ā€œgreen tie guyā€.

Let me remind youā€¦

Apparently this was an entrance to one of Jimmy Fallonā€™s shows, but I imagine that there were a lot of throwbacks to the movie Footloose in the clip. Whether the bow tie wiggle was one of them, Iā€™m not sure since Iā€™ve never seen the movie. (And if it was, Iā€™m not sure whether our pop-up is from the movie, or the Fallon intro. I havenā€™t seen it since Italian level 213, which would have been a couple of weeks ago.)

1 Like

Yes yes, it was ā€œgreen tie guyā€! He sure gets about. Mille grazie per il clip of KB, nice! (You canā€™t see me, Iā€™m rocking right at the back dammit). In my clip I think he was talking animatedly with some people and suddenly turned to to the camera grinning - he obviously knew Iā€™d gone up a level and was keen to add his own Hollywood up-cheer. Lol.

1 Like

In 914 days here, Iā€™ve never even noticed that the pop-ups werenā€™t all the same!

2 Likes

What?!! Ma no! :slight_smile: You havenā€™t lived if you havenā€™t seen ā€œgreentie guyā€ lol

Ciao LuciusVorenusX - really important news, Will Ferrell lookylikey in red tracksuit has just popped up on my Italian-English course to celebrate another level. Will F and Kevin B, lucky lucky me;-)

1 Like

LuciusVorenusX - youā€™re right, Kevin just popped up in bowtie n tux! (Scuse such frivolity, Iā€™ve been doing Clitics for hours and needed a break).

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen the other Kevin one yet, but Iā€™m sure my time will come.

As for cliticsā€¦ Iā€™m normally a believer in having at least some understanding of grammar, but with clitics Iā€™ve made an exception. Iā€™ve seen them explained, but Iā€™ve never seen them explained well, and I canā€™t explain them to anyone else. I therefore decided to not worry about the grammar and just use them as much as possible to make them instinctive.

Kevin would probably disapprove, but Jackie Chan would be cool with it.

1 Like

LuciusVorenusX Ciao di nuovo. Ho capito bene. I find myself slipping in the occasional ne ci la le gliene ecc, and sometimes find theyā€™re correct. Then nearly faint with amazement! :wink:

Ps. Clitics again. If you Google ā€œClitics Italianā€ there is a ā€œbest answerā€ piece by the great CivisRomanus (Duolingo). It is very detailed but very useful and has given me the confidence to try. Ciao!

1 Like

But more important than cliticsā€¦ as with Mr Bacon I think there are actually two different versions of Green Tie Guy! One where he starts off pumping his arms, the second where heā€™s walking toward the camera, I presume a minute or so thereafter!

Non vedo lā€™ora :slight_smile: ƈ molto importante per lā€™incoraggiamento.

Ciao @LuciusVorenusX, stasera, mamma mia, Striped Tie guy in grey suit, just gotta laughšŸ˜…

End January! Today a guy in a grey suit and white shirt/dark tie popped up, going gloriously berserk. I only mention it as he is the image of my late brother when celebrating a rugby World Cup win. This has made my day!

1 Like

Important news, @Floria7! I have discovered the real life identity of Green Tie Guy!

ā€œMiguel Herreraā€™s Goal Reaction refers to the animated celebrations acted out by manager of the Mexico national football team Miguel Ernesto Herrera Aguirre during the group A World Cup soccer match between Croatia and Mexico in June 2014.ā€

Alas, I havenā€™t seen him for quite some time now. Itā€™s been a long time since Jackie Chan too, although Maverick from Top Gun did appear somewhere in the 290ā€™s if I recall correctly.

Since itā€™s now over 60,000 points between levels in Italian for me (and climbing), Iā€™ll be seeing an increasing number of days without a level up videoā€¦ unless I really start to get my tedesco groove on.

Or I start studying French, but thereā€™s a limit to how much pain Iā€™m prepared to suffer to see The Coach.

Coach Herrera will probably be back on my Italian path some day, though, the Clozemaster gods willing.

2 Likes

@LuciusVorenusX Green tie guy?! Oh my, this is indeed great news! In fact it has made my day to know that I can now call my manic follower and devoted coach Miguel, Iā€™m sure he wonā€™t mind (or notice) the lack of formality. So enjoyed seeing his whole coaching repertoire.

But please donā€™t overdo things levelling-up- wise, take care, Coach Miguel will be waiting for us as we review our reviewed reviews, meantime Iā€™ve had to make do with ā€œthree guys whooping it up in the officeā€. Oh happy day!

2 Likes

And today ā€œGlittermanā€ sprinkled congrats all over as I levelled up. I was so overcome I canā€™t now remember where or how. Kevin and Miguel have competition, methinks!

1 Like