Non mi importa molto di questo tipo di bevande.

English Translation

I do not much care for this kind of drink.

I often see number disagreement in these sentences and wonder if they are correct or not. Should this be submitted as an error? Are there any Italian grammar rules that address this? English grammar would never allow “this type of beverages.”

Hi Hab. It certainly seems a bit clumsy. Without checking, and not wanting a wfw translation, I would have expected more along the lines of “Non mi interessa molto questo tipo di bevandA”.

A dopo…

1 Like
English Translation

I do not much care for this kind of drink.

The answer here came slowly, but I got there. “bevande” is outside of the agreement bubble, as it were, since the only two things that need to agree are the verb “importa” and the subject, which in this case is “tipo.” As you say, it sounds clumsy, but I don’t think it breaks any grammar rules. I’ve noticed that Italian pluralizes a lot of words in places where English doesn’t (I have no debt/Non ho debiti).

4 Likes

Hi @hab638 Well spotted, I might have missed it. It works the other way too, where plural looks like singular, per esempio “le città” - the cities, i papà - the dads, i computer - the computers. I think it’s a case here of “thinking in Italian” more than in English. Happy to be corrected though.

Interesting… A dopo

1 Like