Non mi è mai capitato di poter avere torto.

English Translation

It never occurred to me that I might be wrong.

I just want to make sure that this means roughly the same as “I never realized …”, and not “It has never happened to me …”.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t have occurred to me (sorry) to use capitare that way, but I suppose it is possible, we obviously use occur to mean both happen and bring to mind.

To me, torto seems a bit odd too. I thought that was more wrong in the sense of injustice or “badness” rather than mistaken, in error.

1 Like

It has never occurred to me that it might be odd, knowing the French expression “Avoir tort”, (to be mistaken) .

3 Likes

I see Cloze often uses capitare for “happen, befall, occur” so here I took this frase to mean “it never occurred to me”. I’ve read several times in books “avere torto” - to be wrong, so it’s possibly just another way of saying it. Interesting!

1 Like

I think I’m going to use passare per la testa or venire in mente instead: they feel safer to use.

4 Likes
English Translation

It never occurred to me that I might be wrong.

I think in this case it has more of a shading of “to be in the wrong” or have done an injustice to someone (as in the legal sense of the word “tort”) - not, say, to have gotten the wrong answer on a test, for which I would use “non è giusto.