Non mangio tanta carne quanto ero abituato prima.

[details=“English Translation”]I don’t eat as much meat as I used to.[/details] I don’t think an Italian would use “abituare” this way. The only meaning I can get from this sentence is the English: I used to eat a lot of meat; now I don’t eat as much of it. Abituare or abituarsi means to accustom or GET used to, not “used to” as in “often did in the past.” I don’t see any way you can bend the meaning of this sentence into anything someone would say.
Wouldn’t the right way to say this be, “Non mangio più carne come prima.”?

1 Like

You are correct to point out that abituarsi = to get used to.

However, a simple adjectival form is used here, and:

era abituato a (IT) = he used to (UK) = he was accustomed to (UK)= il était habitué à (FR) = estaba acostumbrado a (SP) = solìa (SP)

5 Likes

I’ll accept that it could be considered technically grammatical. It seemed to me that saying, “I don’t eat as much meat as I was accustomed to before.” sounded like a construction a foreigner would come up with to force it into a word-for-word replacement of how they’d say it in their own language. I’m still wondering–is it a natural way to express that thought in Italian?

Maybe this excerpt from the interview of an Italian nurse will convince you:

Q: E dopo il reparto Covid? Cosa fai ora e cosa ti rimarrà in generale di questa esperienza?

A: Quando il reparto ha chiuso, alla fine di maggio, sono tornata in emodinamica dove lavoravo prima. Ciò che mi porterò dietro per sempre è il grande lavoro di squadra. Per me è stata un’esperienza totalmente nuova e diversa rispetto a quanto ero abituata prima. Supportarsi e aiutarsi a vicenda, collaborare quotidianamente sentirsi parte di un team.