Noi lavoriamo sempre assieme.

I find that “assieme” is found in 297 sentences, vs 129 for “insieme”. I wonder if that is consistent with the actual distribution.

2 Likes

Interessante! It seems that assieme is a touch more modern than insieme. It’s a good question for the madrelingua in our club. A dopo…

2 Likes

Is this in FFT? On Tatoeba (IT from EN) there seem to be 763 sentences with “assieme” and 415 with “insieme”. A Google search gives quite different distributions (26.7 million respectively 191 million).

I was told that “assieme” is for uniting things together (e.g. when combining the ingredients in a recipe), whereas “insieme” is for things which are already together (e.g. the sentence here of “resteremo insieme” or such comes to mind).

So in this sense it could just be that there are more “active” sentences of the action of uniting (groups of) things/people, comparing to observing/mentioning things/people which are already together.

However, I’ve also seen Italian native speakers on language forums mention that they never know how to use “assieme” and thus always just use “insieme” for everything. Furthermore, it’s of course possible there’s again regional variations in this too.

1 Like

Using the EN → IT Tatoeba sentences, there’s only 503 unique English source sentences, which of course are translated into more target sentences (1178 in this case).

I was curious to see how often a unique English source sentence would be translated using only “assieme”, only “insieme”, and how often it would be translated using both.

Turns out “assieme” is even relatively more used in that case, but what I was told regarding the action of uniting versus the state of already being united doesn’t seem to hold up, so I guess there might be more of a regional/preferential force at work in the translations provided on Tatoeba.

Out of the 503 unique sentences, I found 174 were translated using both “assieme” and “insieme”, 248 using only “assieme” and just 81 using “insieme”.

And as per usual, there’s a great number of odd sentences… :stuck_out_tongue:

An 'insieme' only example sentence

And he gave it for his opinion, that whosoever could make two ears of corn or two blades of grass to grow upon a spot of ground where only one grew before, would deserve better of mankind, and do more essential service to his country, than the whole race of politicians put together.

2 Likes

@sindaco Mille grazie for so much info. Interesting indeedy. I’ll be watching out for some more sentences with either.

Auguri…

1 Like

“Search all sentences”. I think your greater numbers arise from the fact that a lot more sentences have been added to a Tatoeba in recent years.

1 Like

Thank you, I’d somehow previously missed the “search all sentences” option completely, so it’s always great to learn about such options :slight_smile:

Yes, I reckon you’re right about the number being greater on Tatoeba for that reason indeed. I had originally downloaded them hoping to be able to make some useful custom grammar collections, but I reckon I might need to look into some sort of “signed off by native speaker” flag too for instance, I reckon that might also have been implemented here. I did find out the other day that there are actually tags for various tenses associated with the Tatoeba sentences too.

2 Likes