Newbie question about sentence edits

If I add edits to a sentence (Translation, Pronunciation, Notes, Hint or Alternative answers), are they all only visible to me? I have been hesitant because I didn’t know if I would be triggering some sort of review or if it pops up as a comment in the discussion board.

3 Likes

Hello Dac,
the changes do only occur for ouy (your account).
Shared Collections might be an exception, I haven’t used them so far.

Markus

2 Likes

Thanks, Markus … that’s what I was hoping

2 Likes

Thanks for asking that. I have corrected one or two and was a bit worried about appearing “know-it-all”. Best to you.

2 Likes

That’s a question that I had been intending to ask as well. If there is something that I know is wrong (rare, but it happens), or something which is missing an alternative translation, I flag it rather than just correcting it and let Mike and the (System) Mechanics take care of it.

I do the same with pronunciation, in part because I wouldn’t have a clue how to change that anyway.

1 Like

Ciao LuciusVorenusX - thanks, that’s a better idea. Now to discover the flagging option. Have a good week. F.

1 Like

That is a good idea. Thanks @LuciusVorenusX.

The main thing that I want to do is to put an alternative (although I am not sure how/if that alternative is used yet). I find that for many sentences, the translation is unnecessarily colloquial when the literal translation would have been perfectly fine. Of course, I am referring to translations into English. That may not be the case with other languages.

2 Likes

Hi dac573. “Call the cops!” and “Hi buddy!” are real cute favourites :smiley:

1 Like

HI @Floria7 … Yes. There are a few that make me chuckle!

2 Likes

It’s certainly helpful to change the sentences into something YOU understand.

I can’t think of many examples right now, one being:

Ladybird (Ladybug here in the US) = la mariquita in Spanish.

I didn’t know what a ladybird was!

-jordan

1 Like

Just bumping this to ask: is flagging sentences for this reason actually effective, appropriate, or desired by the moderators? There are very large numbers of sentences (I would estimate perhaps 5%) which are imprecise, (which is to say) needlessly vague or specific, overly or insufficiently colloquial, or what I would call “cognate-averse” (seemingly systematically biased against semantically equivalent cognates, perhaps because the translators considered them too facile). Of course, these judgments all have a degree of subjectivity, which is why good translation is an art, and which leads me to my next point.

This is an immense collection and I can’t imagine how a moderator would handle flags of this kind, especially without personal expertise in every language pair. Seems like it would be pointless to flag these except in the most egregious cases of error, and doing so would probably overwhelm the moderators, causing important errors to be ignored in the inundation. Presumably the place to correct this kind of thing is at the source (Tatoeba?) and not within Clozemaster? But that raises the question of how these (multiple) translations are imported and whether they are ever updated from source. Has there ever been a blog or discussion on this?

I would imagine, given the above considerations, that it is more appropriate to discuss one’s concerns in the sentence forum thread, so that everyone can share relevant information and users can make their own decisions about personal edits, but I don’t know whether any guidelines exist on this point.

Regards.

2 Likes