Mi facevano male i piedi.

English Translation

My feet hurt.

I think the correct answer is “fanno” (present)

1 Like

Actually this is one of those “wonderful” verbs, where you can’t tell from the current sentence itself if it is “present” or “past” (just like “read”). So I imagine on Tatoeba both versions will have been covered.

My feet hurt right now. (present)

Yesterday my feet hurt. (past)

I hurt my left foot yesterday. (past)

Watch out, or I will hurt your foot! (future)

All forms for all persons in all tenses are always “hurt”, except when the continuous form “hurting” is used (E.g. “My feet are hurting.” “They will be hurting even more tomorrow.” “Hopefully not as much as they were hurting yesterday though”) or for 3rd person singular present (E.g. “This hurts a lot.” “His foot hurts.”) but again back to just “hurt” for the other non-continuous tenses (“Yesterday his foot hurt a lot, but today it is fine again.” and “He will hurt himself if he carries on like this”).

Even: “When you said that, I felt hurt.”

9 Likes

@sindaco. I couldn’t have put it better. Great explanation of the intricacies of both Italian and English:-)

7 Likes

Thank you Sindaco, I was sure that the past of hurt was hurted.
English is very difficult. :grimacing:

4 Likes

It can be difficult indeed! But you’ve got this! :sunglasses:

To me Italian is the most difficult language I’ve tried to learn so far. But still enjoying it. Little by little we’re improving every day!

4 Likes

I agree for the most part with your explanation of the invariance of hurt, but in this case, without other adverbial time phrases present, a native english speaker would never interpret “my feet hurt” as anything other than present tense, as in “my feet hurt right now”. The translation for this Italian due to the imperfect tense would be better as “my feet were hurting” or “my feet used to hurt”.

1 Like