Mein Interesse für dein Auto hält sich in Grenzen!

Spanish Translation

¡ Me importa un carajo tu puto coche !

Does this sound aggressive in German? The translation is.

Not really aggressive. More like passive-aggressive, or, let’s call it “eloquent usage of a sarcastic understatement”. It’s not vulgar language, anyway. Quite the opposite.

I don’t know. There’s nothing outright aggressive about it, but whether some thin-skinned people perceive it as aggressive is subjective.

It literally means “My interest for your car is limited.” Or “There are bounds to my interest for your car.”

To me, there is nothing aggressive at all about it. But I’m a very direct and honest guy.

The nature of the meaning might make some people angry if you tell them that the thing they’re interested in does not interest you. How dare you have different interests! But the sentence itself is just a neutral way to say you’re not interested.

Edit: @pitti42 We seem to often coincidentally answer at the same time. :laughing:

I like what @pitti42 said: “sarcastic understatement”. Although the sentence is neutral, passive-aggressive people like to use it when they really mean “I don’t give a shit about your car” but need to veil their aggression when they can’t use vulgar language (at work, for example, in a professional setting). But in the mouth of passive-aggressive people, any words can be misused and sound aggressive. “It’s a beautiful day, isn’t it?” when someone just got some bad news.

1 Like

Thanks to both of you!
The Spanish translation is very aggressive and vulgar (’‘carajo’’, ‘‘puto’’).
I’ll report it to Clozemaster and suggest a better translation.

2 Likes