Lui ci ha portati in stazione.

English Translation

He led us to the station.

Would it be wrong to say : “Lui ci ha portato in stazione”? If not wrong, what is the difference between the two?

The past participle needs to match the direct object pronoun when it precedes the verb, so here it is plural. You could say: “Lui mi ha portato in stazione,” if “mi” were a male person.

1 Like

I think both versions are valid, though CM does seem to prefer that we match gender and plurality.

1 Like

Thank you for your replies! Glad to know that both versions are valid, because only one makes sense to me now. I have to get used to the other. Thanks again!

I am not quite sure about “mi” part to be male only. Again, I could be wrong.

If it were said of myself (a woman) it would be: “Lui mi ha portata in stazione.”

1 Like

Both versions would NOT be valid for the pronouns mi/ti/lo/la. In those cases the ending of the past participle must match the direct object pronoun. I think it’s optional only for ci and vi, but not sure.

1 Like

I found this similar topic: Mi ha colpita due volte. .

I think the conclusion is that it’s optional in first and second person.

3 Likes

Yes, I think that’s right. The Treccani link I posted seems oddly slow, so I’ll reproduce here;

Nel caso di verbi composti con l’ausiliare avere , in presenza di complemento oggetto anteposto costituito da un pronome personale, la norma lascia piena libertà di scelta sia per quanto riguarda il genere ( ti ho vista e ti ho visto sono sullo stesso piano di legittimità, così come quando mi hai chiamata e quando mi hai chiamato ,anche se il pronome designa una persona di sesso femminile), sia per quanto riguarda il numero, per i pronomi di prima e seconda persona plurale ( lui ci ha salutati e lui ci ha salutato ; grazie per averci seguiti e grazie per averci seguito ; vi ha visti al bar e vi ha visto al bar ; ma lui li ha salutati , non * lui li ha salutato ; grazie per averli seguiti , non * grazie per averli seguito ,ecc.).

You’ll see at the end there that it has to agree when third person plural.

Another link (hopefully faster to open than the first).

4 Likes

Thank you — I was struggling to remember which were optional.

1 Like