Lo facciamo como loro lo hanno mostrato.

English Translation

We do it the way they demonstrated.

The cloze word here is “como”, but this isn’t the correct word in Italian is it?
This should be “come”, shouldn’t it?

N.B. The sentence author on Tatoeba is not a native Italian speaker, in fact he rates his own proficiency as quite low. However, someone has previously suggested a correction to this sentence, and they didn’t pick up on the como/come issue.

2 Likes

Ciao. It rather hits you as an ahia! moment;-) I would definitely change it to “come” (un comò being a chest of drawers!)

I often ask our club madrelingua for advice and he is more than helpful. Nel frattempo grazie per il headsup! A dopo…

2 Likes

And there is the “Lago di Como” :wink:

Actually, while I couldn’t easily find it elsewhere, it does seem “cómo” might be a more antiquated version of “come”, so perhaps it’s still used these days in certain regions/dialects?

Especially since indeed a suggestion for the verb part of the sentence was provided, I guess either this was missed before the sign-off, or it was accepted as correct as was.

There’s a couple of other sentences on Tatoeba using it too, though they’ve not been “officially” okayed, and again are either not by native Italian speakers, or have no languages declared at all:
https://tatoeba.org/en/sentences/show/2994397
https://tatoeba.org/en/sentences/show/6705259

2 Likes

That looks like the kind of mistake a Spanish speaker would be prone to make.

3 Likes

Coincidentally, I do happen to live in Como!! :smiley:

It’s a suburb of Perth, Australia, about 5 kilometres south of the city centre (or CBD as we would say here in Oz).

1 Like

Wow, what a coincidence indeed! :grin: Do you have a lake too?

(CBD = Central Business District or such?)

So, not a lake as such, but Como runs alongside the Swan river where it is about 10km wide. To all intents and purposes it is a lake, but it isn’t called that. It has beautiful sunsets from the beach though. The only downside is that there’s a motorway running just a few meters inland of the beach.

If you’re interested in the location -
Como Beach - Google Maps

Yes, that’s right, down here in Australia and New Zealand we use the term CBD instead of city centre or downtown, and as you correctly surmise it means Central Business District.

P.S. I realise that all of this is going to appear in the comments section on Clozemaster itself, but it might provide someone with a welcome break from studying for a few seconds.

1 Like

I’ve looked at the first of those two sentences that you posted from Tatoeba. It is the only sentence in Italian from that person (the others are mostly English or Russian), and also it begins
Como abbbiamo …
Therefore, with the second word having a spelling mistake, I would boldly state that it appears as though that sentence would count as being … unreliable.

The second one is by a Portuguese speaker from Brazil, and so the use of “como” instead of “come” (if I might borrow a phrase from @morbrorper) looks like the kind of mistake a Portuguese speaker would be prone to make.

1 Like

G’day;-) Fascinating to read all this. And yes, a welcome pausa from pumping in new words and reviews.

The founder of our italian club was/is from Australia and had a similar ZZ (zigzag) profile, once again che coincidenza. I lived in Kirribilli for a few months way back, great place, truly great people.

Ciao e buona giornata!

2 Likes

@sindaco Mamma mia, che imbarazzo! How could I have forgotten about Lake Como having recently posted about it.

Interesting info indeed! Viviamo e impariamo eh!

1 Like

Wow, 10 km wide, now I understand why some Australians were quite disappointed when they saw the measly width of the river “Rhine”.

It sounds really lovely though, thanks for explaining, I always find it nice to learn things, about other places, and also locally used terms like CBD :grin: Who knows, it might come (not “como” :wink:) in handy one day!

Indeed, I always appreciate coming across any comments, I might be misremembering, but I think for instance @cazort tends to leave nice images and expressions on certain German(?) sentence discussions too!

Thanks for confirming this, I’d quickly had a look around and also only noticed English and Russian sentences for the first, and figured for the last sentence it was likely a result of them being a native Portuguese speaker indeed. And I hadn’t even spotted the “abbbiamo” typo.

So I guess, despite the Treccani definition of it being an antiquated form, it is perhaps more likely that all three instances were just errors, rather than a regional preference/dialect, and that the native speaker who signed off on this specific sentence (“Lo facciamo como loro lo hanno mostrato.”), likely just missed it?

1 Like

É verdade também :wink:

3 Likes