Learning numbers

Hopefully it’s okay to share this here, I won’t have any objections to removing it or it being removed if not.

I just found out about this great site for practicing numbers.

While I have no issues deciphering numbers as such, it is still a painstakingly slow process for me, where I slowly dissect it in my mind, breaking it up into all the individual pieces and then putting those back together to arrive at the number: “Okay, they said i thousand, j hundred k-y and l, so, let’s see, that is i… j… k… l… ijkl” (and even worse for even larger numbers).

While I love Clozemaster, and there has been the odd number (though generally consisting of just two digits, and I don’t really have any issues with those), I think what I could really use is some dedicated practice like this, just to help speed along my familiarisation process for big numbers (4-5 digits, with years being the most useful one to be able to decipher a bit more promptly).

And since I figured there might be some of you here who could also use this, for similar reasons, I thought I’d share it here, for those who don’t know it yet and also would like to give it a go:

https://langpractice.com/

14 Likes

Brilliant! I really need this. I can “assemble” numbers, but it’s slow going…

3 Likes

Grazie @sindaco. As I’m dyslexic with anything to do with numbers, using, writing or speaking, any help is a bonus, così mille grazie per il link.

A dopo…

3 Likes

I think this resource is awesome as well. I ALWAYS had trouble with numbers.

3 Likes

Really nice resource there, thanks for sharing. I usually generated a random string of numbers and made it voice out by a TTS, but it was always the same voice, sometimes did some mistakes, etc.
One addition that would be nice to the website, is an option to limit the time for answering - then it would be counted as false if you fail to answer quickly enough.

3 Likes

I’d love to see numbers collections here in Clozemaster covering large numbers, dates, fractions, decimal places, etc, presented in a random way in the context of sentences.

I find large French numbers hard enough that I bought an audiobook specifically about mastering numbers. I love French Today’s other audiobooks and highly recommend them for longer listening practice, but found this one rather dull. I’d much rather be practicing here with context!

3 Likes

Fully agreed! I’m sure there must be sentences like this in Tatoeba too, I wonder if it’s just a matter of pulling them out into a separate collection, I’ll try to investigate a bit.

2 Likes

You are awesome, sindaco! Numbers are easy to “learn” but hard to get good at. This should help. I’m going to tell everyone I know about this resource. Thanks a million!

3 Likes

Welcome, you’re so right about numbers. Repetition repetition and even more… :slight_smile:

3 Likes