La vecchia signora sembrava sul punto di cadere in qualunque momento.

Would a better translation perhaps be “The old lady seemed like she was about to fall at any moment”? I think the clozemaster translation is trying to say this but sounds a bit unnatural in English to me? I’d be interested to see how others translate “sul punto di”? Thanks!

She seemed “on the point of falling” makes sense to me. I trend to forget “how we say it in English” and always try to think in Italian. Works for me, anyway:-)

1 Like
English Translation

The old woman seemed on the point of falling down at any moment.

I have a different problem with this sentence.
Whatever the English translation I tend to answer this cloze with “caduta” (noun) instead of “cadere” (verb).
Is there any rule about that?

I like this translation. I think language learning programs should strive for literal translation whenever practical. “About to fall” might flow more smoothly, but it doesn’t reinforce learning the meaning of punto.

sul punto DELLA caduta

So it would not work here.

3 Likes

Ah, :bulb:!
So, in principle you can say “sul punto di + noun”, but of course then you need the article .
Thank you so much for the clue.

English Translation

The old woman seemed on the point of falling down at any moment.

The old woman seemed on the point of falling down at any moment.Shouldn’t vecchia come after signora in this case. I assume the sentence is demonstrating that the woman is actually old?