La mia coscienza è pulita.

“My conscience is clear.”

There is not one single sentence in Italian from English having coscienza as the close word, not even in the FFT.

2 Likes

Interesting. There seem to be 70 sentences containing it on Tatoeba, most of which seem to be original sentences without any corresponding translations, and 27 with a corresponding English translation. I’d imagine that should be enough for inclusion, especially given the way more unusual words I’ve encountered in the “>50,000 Most Common Words” collection, but perhaps the threshold is set higher than that after all?

2 Likes

The concept is fuori moda?

2 Likes

Clozemaster does have eleven sentences containing the word, but never as a cloze. My guess is that in each of these sentences there is another word that is rarer and therefore ends up as the close word.

1 Like

That’s interesting.

I don’t know where Clozemaster gets its word list from, but I just had a look at the 50,000 Italian word list on Wiktionary, and coscienza is at entry 2873, with pulita at entry 3015. I didn’t expect that. I thought that pulita would be much more common that coscienza.

I know this is only one sentence, but your theory does look sound.

Furthermore, this demonstrates a problem in just choosing cloze words as the most infrequent one in a given sentence. In this case, having the cloze word as pulita implies that the learner is already familiar with the other words in the sentence since all of the other words have a higher frequency in a word list. However, just because a word has a lower frequency in the word list than the others in the sentence, doesn’t mean that the learner is familiar with all of the other higher frequency words … because in this case the learner had never had the chance to complete a sentence with coscienza as the cloze!

2 Likes