Komm hier rüber, aber ein bisschen plötzlich!

I like this sentence because it illustrates a difference in the word “plötzlich” and its most common English translations “suddenly” or “abruptly”. In English you can’t really say “a little bit suddenly”, although you could say “a bit abruptly”. Nor could you use these words to tell someone to get over quickly, you could say “quickly”, “pronto”, or all sorts of other things. It’s sort of idiomatic.

I appreciate sentences like this a lot because, even though they’re teaching a different main word, they also passively expose us to idioms involving other words, and I find this is one of the biggest benefits of using Clozemaster.

14 Likes

Yes, ‘exposure’ is the perfect word for the Clozemaster experience. It’s easy to imagine contexts for the sentences here, and that makes me feel like I’m inhabiting the German mind, which constructs its world with slightly different processes. The experience is like moving from grammar to thinking, and I love it!

4 Likes
English Translation

Get over here and be quick about it!

Would “Hier am Doppel” work in this context?

I’m afraid, no. This is not even a case of “not really”, it just doesn’t make any sense at all in german.

Some idiomatic alternatives that would work:
…, aber (ein bisschen) dalli!
…, aber zackig!
…, aber pronto!
…, sofort!
…, auf der Stelle!
…, na wird’s bald?
…, und nimm die Beine in die Hand!

4 Likes

“On the double” = “im Laufschritt” but normally only in a military context,

4 Likes

Of course! I was trying to think of more examples, but “im Laufschritt” just didn’t come to my mind. :sweat_smile: Nice one.

1 Like