Jest zajebiście gorąco.

The English translation is given as “It’s fcking hot". “Zajebiście” is translated on Google translate as “awesome”. Is "It’s fcking hot” a good interpretation for this sentence? If not, can someone provide a better one? Dziękuję z góry.

I’ve tried to put an asterix for the u in ‘f*cking’ but it hasn’t worked!

Hm, when I look it up, I see the translation given as “It’s fucking hot.” — wonder if Clozemaster could be doing some internal bleeping here.

“It’s fucking hot.” seems like a pretty accurate translation.

In general, zajebisty is used as a vulgar adjective with positive connotations. So if something is zajebisty, it’s “awesome” or rather “freaking awesome”.

When used as an adverb (zajebiście – as it is used here), it means just “very very very”, or “freaking”, or “fucking”, depending on the context. In this case, it’s not necessarily positive—the ultimate meaning will depend on the adjective that is being emphasized by this adverb.

Zajebisty and zajebiście are generally considered swear words, though they aren’t so bad as far as profanities go. In recent years, it’s got to the point where it’s not so shocking (for most people) when someone uses this word on breakfast television, especially if they’re really excited about something.

1 Like

Thank you very much, that is a very clear explanation.

There’s quite a few Polish swear words on CM, ‘zajebisty/zajebiście’ was the only one I’d not heard before (so far) :slight_smile: In my own personal opinion, I don’t mind the swearing on CM, it can be useful to know it !!!

If we try to grade the severity of the swearing, based on your advice above, would ‘zajbisty’ possibly be more akin to ‘bloody’ than ‘f!cking’?

I.e. ‘It’s bloody hot’ also means ‘It is very, very hot’, (which would also suggest that the level of the heat was negative).

The only reason I ask, is your comment that you could get away with zajebisty/zajebiście on breakfast TV. In the UK you could perhaps get away with ‘bloody’ but not ‘f!cking’ :slight_smile: Or would this be ‘Jest cholernie gorąco’ and this would mean something (slightly?) different? Thanks in advance.

Good call, “bloody” seems on par with “zajebisty” when it comes to intensity/vulgarity.

The only difference I’d point out is that “bloody” seems a bit more culturally universal—I find it quite easy to imagine the word being used in a book/movie set in the 18th century, and my guess is that today it’s used both by young and older people.

“Zajebisty” is a much younger word. My intuition is that it only became popular in the 1990s, and is still mostly used by the younger generations.

Just like “fucking”, its etymology relates to sexual intercourse, which kind of makes you wonder why it’s slowly becoming more acceptable in the public discourse. Perhaps it’s because we don’t really have other “cool-but-intense” words like the English “awesome”?

1 Like

As far as I can tell, this word must be a derivative of jebnąć/jebać meaning generally, “to fuck” but with a plethora of other meanings (such as “to hit”, “to beat”, etc.) as such words often pick up. Likewise adjectival forms “jebany,” “pojebany,” etc. I listen to a lot of Polish rap so I have heard all these, lol. Interestingly, according to Wiktionary, this “j-b(h)-t” root is widespread among Indo-European languages and generally denotes “to have sex with.”

There is some episode of Easy Polish on YouTube where a young guy from Kraków (I think) is asked what it’s like living there, and he replies “Zajebiste.”

1 Like