Je n'arrive pas à croire que je vienne de me faire une injection.

English Translation

I can’t believe I just shot myself.

Oh come on… the algorithm is drunk here. “me faire une injection” means to ‘give myself an injection’, ie. with a hypodermic. The English translation refers to shooting oneself, ie. with a gun. (Never in English would we say “shoot myself” to mean an injection. “Shoot up”, maybe. But it’s clear to a human reader that the sense intended in the English translation is shooting with a gun.)

Yet another example of the hazards of using automated translation without affirming it with a human eye.

1 Like

Thanks to an intervention from @morbrorper and a confirmation from another Tatoeba user, this combination was changed over at Tatoeba at the end of last year.

The English sentence has been unlinked from the French sentence, and a new sentence “I can’t believe I just gave myself a shot.” has been linked in its place.

I don’t know if this issue has been reported in Clozemaster using the little red flag (i.e. so that it might get updated here as well).

I should note though, that this isn’t automated translation, this was a (bad) translation provided by a human being. Actually, for some of the translations that are currently delivered in the French/English course, I think I’d probably prefer something provided by the ‘drunk algorithm’ instead :joy:.

2 Likes
English Translation

I can’t believe I just shot myself.

Ha! Me too :beers:
Thank you, much appreciated.

2 Likes