Jag tycker inte om när du tar med dig jobb hem.

English Translation

I don’t like it when you bring work home.

In Swedish is “taking work home” the same as “bringing work home”? We would use the 2 phrases for distinct situations, in English.

Could you please elaborate? This is a distinction that’s very tricky for us non-native English speakers.

1 Like

The English says “I don’t like it when you BRING work home” - but TAR means to take and, to me, that is 2 different scenarios.

If I’m at home, speaking to someone about their home working, it would be about them “bringing” it home.

But, if I’m in the office, then I am about to “take” work home.

For me to have guessed what the Swedish should be (in this example) I would have expected the English to say “I don’t like it when you take work home” - which kind of doesn’t make sense either as you wouldn’t use “take” about someone else (not in this sense).

From my perspective it feels clumsy, in either language. My question really was about, to a Swede, is the verb TA interchangeable for either activity (Taking or Bringing). Because I struggle to get my head wrapped around this one. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks! Anyway, I think this translation is valid for both senses, and I cannot think of anything radically different.

2 Likes