Ist sie schon da?

Making sure I understand this concept: It’s “Ist sie schon da?” instead of “Ist sie schon hier?” because she’s not actually here yet? Once she gets here, she will be “hier,” but since she’s still away, it’s “da”? Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You got it :grinning:

No, actually that has nothing to do with it in this case. Even if she were already here you would still ask “Ist sie schon da?”. I also feel like “Ist sie schon hier?” would sound a bit unnatural in this case.
Rather think of “da sein” as meaning something like “to be around”/“to be present”. (At least in this sentence)
But don’t worry too much about it. It’s one of those things that is hard to explain but you will pick it up eventually. :slight_smile:

Out of curiosity, what is the English translation Clozemaster/Tatoeba suggests here?

I’m not sure if you understood what I meant :smile:

If I am asking ‘Ist Lisa schon da?’ it is quite irrelevant whether she already arrived or is still travelling. I am speaking out of the position of not knowing this, so the simple possibility that she’s not already there is the important thing.

But I agree, its one of these things you can’t really learn.

OK, say you’re looking directly at Lisa, and talking about her being in this exact location, is she then hier? And I thought articles were confusing… :laughing: Thanks for the effort, you two! I’m glad I finally have a way to ask these questions.

BlundaInte, I don’t remember what it said the English was. Next time it comes up, I’ll let you know.

Then both hier and da would work.

For example:

Oh, guck mal, Lisa ist schon da

Ja, du siehst ja, Lisa ist schon hier

German…:smirk:

1 Like