Io sono perché voi siete, e dunque noi siamo.

Is this some kind of idiom that is known to be a standard saying in Italy? Or a line from a film? Aside from a Bollywood melodrama I can’t see it being something I would ever say (unlike the recent “gabinetto” sentence noted here).

1 Like

According to Tatoeba, the English sentence #952257 - “I am because you are, and therefore we are”- is the original. It appears that this Italian sentence is just a straightforward translation of the English one.

I can’t comment on the background of the English sentence (it may be related to Ubuntu philosophy), although personally I’d much rather come across nice clean translations like these than sentences about a “pig in a poke” or “living high on the hog”.

4 Likes
English Translation

I am because you are, and therefore we are.

I keep entering “quindi” as the prompt for the Cloze here, and it does appear that they are the same but “quindi” is more common in daily speech. Maybe I should force myself to mix it up more and occasionally say “dunque”.

1 Like

Hmm, tis similar to Descartes’ famous line, also a 2006 film “I am because you are”, the African philosophy of Ubantu, the belief of group thinking rather than that of the individual only.

Viviamo e impariamo con Cloze eh! :wink:

1 Like

@zzcguns Steady on now, let’s not beat about the bush, English and Italian are both full to the brim with daily idioms. We’d be up in arms if they were taken away and put on the back burner. It can sometimes be fun to push the envelope and see the bigger picture;-))

4 Likes
English Translation

I am because you are, and therefore we are.

Delicately, I will just say that I rather liked the sentence when I read it. A tricky little paradoxical variation on Descartes (Ubuntu if y’all say). I can easily imagine saying something like this, as to being understood, well…

4 Likes