Io sono molto stanco dopo aver insegnato.

English Translation

I am very tired from teaching.

I am not so sure about the “dopo” here.
It is a difference whether I am tired “from teaching” or “after teaching”.
What would be the Italian word to use, if I want to express the reason for being tired?
“Per”? Or do i have to say “per causa di”?

3 Likes

I would translate this as “I’m very tired after having taught/after teaching”

I think “Io sono molto stanco a causa dell’insegnamento” might also be correct.

It will be interesting to hear from others.

A dopo…

3 Likes

Yes, I also read it as “…after having taught”.

1 Like

This is the closest translation, yes. Of course, this implies that the reason you are tired is because you taught, so it is not completely wrong to use “from”, depending on a context we don’t know.

I don’t find the sentence very natural, it is grammatical correct, but kind of ambiguous. Also, I think most people would drop the pronoun “Io”. Unless one wants to contrast their experience with someone else’s, “io” sounds superfluous.

Also the sentence could be interpreted two ways:

“I am (now) very tired, after having taught” or
I am (usually) very tired after teaching"

Although without further explanations, e.g. “dopo aver insegnato per quattro ore”, I would tend to go with the latter interpretation.

Edit:
It occurred to me that this could be a translation from Englist to Italian, and using “per aver insegnato” sound kind of unnatural.

Indeed that is the case, the original sentence is the English one:

https://tatoeba.org/en/sentences/show/256920

This sentence comes from the tanaka corpus, so the original sentence is probably the Japanese one:

私は教えた後ひどく疲れています。

Which is closer to the Italian version than the English one (After teaching, I am terribly tired.)

5 Likes

Thanks for this @mike-lima. Incidentally I think the “Io” here is another English way of emphasising “Me, I am very tired…” as in “Me, I prefer rugby to football!” lol

Buona giornata👋

1 Like

Right, you can think of it that way. If you do not want to emphasize the subject, of if you are not contrasting with another situation, it is more natural to omit the pronoun.

1 Like

Grazie mille! It pays to “think” Italian as much as possible.