Io sono completamente nudo.

English Translation

I’m completely naked.

My ear, compromised by the bear’s paw ( re : ti interessano i fiori ) could hear complecamente.

1 Like

I think “Carla” says it correctly: "completamente. Did you try the slow (half-speed) mode?

1 Like

I too hear completamente. The Italian t is often more subtle and “tongue behind the teeth” - as was described by an Italian:-)

Thank you for listening! When I listen to it in the search sentences option I can clearly hear complecamente. Only the added-to-collection version sounds correctly: completamente. The idea of a half-speed was good but it does not work in the search sentence option , only on a regular and save-to-collection versions. I tried it on my family members, who do not study Italian, telling them: just say back what you can hear. I have got complecamente from them. I guess that is the way they would have learned it.

1 Like

@barcarolle Just out of interest, when we were learning to sing the divine, much loved “Signore delle Cime”, in the line “Ma ti preghiamo” we were asked not to sing an English “t” but an Italian one which sounds more like “Ma di preghiamo” (tongue behind teeth again;-) The “t” in montagne is also softened. (I may add a clip of the song for your pleasure).

There are one or two “Montalbanos” hiding at the back;-) Now we know where he goes off-duty.

1 Like

In search results I also hear “complecamente” for some sentences:
Questo posto è cambiato completamente. (FFT collection)
Sei impazzita completamente? (Collections: Fluency Fast Track, 10,000 Most Common)
Il potere assoluto corrompe completamente. (FFT collection)

And indeed, if searching specifically for this sentence, I also hear her say “complecamente”.

But I do hear “completamente” completamente correctly for these sentences:
I matematici sono come i francesi: qualsiasi cosa gli diciate, loro la traducono nel loro linguaggio e la trasformano in qualcosa di completamente diverso. (>50,000 words collection)
La mia opinione è completamente diversa dalla tua. (“Not found in any collections!” Wait, what? Where did it come from then?)
C'è stata una denuncia dai vicini perché un ubriaco stava facendo rumore nel parco. Quando i poliziotti sono arrivati sul luogo Kusanagi era da solo, ubriaco marcio e completamente nudo. (“Not found in any collections!”)
Non riesco a capire completamente questo. (“Not found in any collections!”)
Era completamente incazzato. (Collections: Random, Fluency Fast Track, 10,000 Most Common)
Ne sono completamente contrario. (FFT)
L'edizione più recente è stata completamente aggiornata. (“Not found in any collections!”)
etc.

Since there were 295 results, I gave up somewhere on page 2 listening to all, but basically it’s only in about 10-20 % of the sentences that I hear Carla say “complecamente”, which seems mainly limited to sentences in FFT (but not completamente so).

Though in over-focussing on all this, I started to wonder if I perhaps heard Giorgio say “complepamente” in this sentence?
Sei impazzito completamente? (Collections: 3,000 Most Common, All Verbs)
I must be going completely mad indeed…

@barcarolle, I wonder if it’s to do with our system voices? I’m using Chrome on Mac to listen to the sentences in search results.

1 Like

As a final straw, I recorded Carla saying “Io sono completamente nudo” and slowed it down to half speed, and indeed, now I can hear the ‘k’ sound! And once I’ve heard it, I can hear it at full speed as well. I don’t know what to say. :confused:

Too bad I cannot upload the mp3 file :frowning:

2 Likes

But at the end of the day, as just a tad beyond Beginners, I think we do realise it’s “completamente”. Obviously if Cloze was aimed at Beginners I would worry a bit more, for sure. Many of the voices in beta Listening could send you crazy if you worried too much about them. Oops, starò zitto!

1 Like

But if we “report” these sentences where the audio is incorrect, the overall course will only become better yet for (future) beginners and beginners+ alike :wink: As we’ve already seen with some sentences, for instance, we’ve definitely not seen heard that “gong” around here anymore :smile:

@sindaco. Un punto valido. The “gong”? Mi sono un po’ perso;-) unless you mean the Busuu bellissimo bong;-D

1 Like

It’s been over half a year since you raised it :wink:

@sindaco Ah yes, I remember it well. I was asking about the wholly, totally, completely, entirely different word Cara Carla was using, not whether there was a tee or a pee:-)

I’m flattered that you should remember, and just for you I will stay zitto for the rest of the week and report every error I can find. “Listening” will keep me v busy where I challenge anyone to hear the word “atlantica” tho after three repeats, eureka, I got it.
A dopo… ;-D

1 Like

Thank you guys for checking it. It is true, we are not the beginners. I found this in my current 4,000 collection. It is just the idea to be “ok” with the “whatever” pronunciation or “whatever” stress in some words or even translations that I encounter . That idea does not sit well with me. Personally, I do not like the “whatever” in the new language learning course. I would like it to be correct, unambiguous and clear, and honestly, I do not think it is our job to clean it up. But I do appreciate your help and understanding. I learn so many new things reading your posts. Thank you!

2 Likes
English Translation

The location has changed.

(ignore – duplicate post)

English Translation

The location has changed.

A good primer on the various differences between luogo and posto:

3 Likes

Very strange, all…

I accessed this thread from the sentence “Il luogo è cambiato” - and this comment thread shows up there. But when it lists in the Forum it lists as a different sentence entirely, unrelated to the sentence I commented on. I have no idea how to report this as a bug.

2 Likes

I’ve seen it happen once before (here). It mainly seems to happen to shorter sentences (at first I thought for sentences under 15 characters, but yours seems to have more than that, but fewer than 20) as far as I can tell, and when I tried to reproduce it by trying to start a sentence discussion for a short sentence with no discussion instead, it did indeed end up taking me to a completely unrelated existing thread.

1 Like
English Translation

He was completely pissed.

There’s already a lively discussion here for two different matters, but just to note, this seems to have been a potential mis-translation (or difference in meaning between UK/US/Aus English perhaps).

The English source sentence means “He’s completely drunk” (as also evidenced by the translations in other languages on Tatoeba), but the Italian translation corresponds to “pissed off” instead, in the sense of being absolutely fed up/annoyed with something.

Another thing to note, since it’s using “cazzo”, the current phrasing is not the most “polite”. If in respectable company, one might use “incavolato” instead.

Edit: and again, like with @Dcarl1’s sentence, it seems we’ve ended up in the wrong sentence discussion… My comment was for the sentence “Era completamente incazzato”.

3 Likes