Io non voglio suonare.

English Translation

I don’t want to play.

How do you know if this is a ‘play an instrument’ or ‘play a game’?

2 Likes

Ciao e benvenuto/a @altalori. Suonare is used for playing an instrument and giocare is for playing (at) football, games etc.

Io non voglio suonare (il pianoforte).
Mi piace suonare la chitarra.
Ti piace giocare a calcio?
Mi piace giocare a tennis.

Ciao;-)

2 Likes

I understand but in the Clozemaster sentence given there is no indication of an instrument or a game to be played. Would both verbs be appropriate without additional information.

2 Likes

Ciao di nuovo. I see what you mean - yes, both mean “I don’t want to play” - but you would need to use the correct verb depending on which game you don’t want to play;-)

Although Cloze doesn’t specify what is being played, suonare tells you it refers to an instrument.

If someone is playing football and asks “Do you want to play?” (without actually mentioning football) you wouldn’t reply “Io non voglio suonare”. It would need “giocare”.

Is this any clearer?

2 Likes

Maybe this demands a more general answer:

You will often encounter clozes, where - because of lacking context - more than one answer is possible and equally correct.

However, in my opinion, dealing with these ambiguities is one of the strong sides of clozemaster.
It encourages you to know alternatives, but - in contrast to “the other system” - it does not punish you automatically if you need more than one try.
You can manually add additional correct answers, but I do this only in the most obvious cases, like “intorno/attorno”, where it seems that I can never get the “flow of the sentence” right.
Otherwise, I try to have alternatives in mind and understand this as part of the learning process.

Variatio delectat. :smile:

3 Likes

I prefer to add a hint; that works better doing multiple choice.

5 Likes

Without further context, it is not possible to be sure of course.

What do you think would be the most likely meaning of the English sentence?

Because without other hints I would have used “giocare”.

1 Like