Io ho corso fino alla stazione per non perdere il treno.

English Translation

I ran to the station not to miss the train.

Considering what is said on correre - Wiktionary, “auxiliary (action towards a goal) essere or (action considered in itself, or transitive) avere”, I wonder why this isn’t “sono corso”.

I somehow think this is different to “ho corso dieci chilometri stamattina”, as this has a clear target. What do you think?

3 Likes

According to WordReference,

This intransitive verb can take either avere or essere in compound tenses, with little change in meaning.

Not sure that helps us much though!

2 Likes

I found this on Google…

We usually say “sono corso” when we focus on the destination, even if we don’t mention it. Ex. 1. I ran here as soon as I could. Ex. 2. You called me and I ran. We use “ho corso” when the focus is on the action. Ex1. What a sweat! I ran for an hour! Ex2. Last month I ran for a marathon.

Interesting…

4 Likes

I suppose one way to work around the entire issue is to use the passato remoto: Corsi fino alla stazione. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I subscribe to this chap on YouTube and here is his take on the matter (he does get there eventually!)

3 Likes

As a native Italian speaker, I must admit I was not aware of formal rules on this.

But “ho corso fino alla stazione” seems pretty natural in this case.
“Sono corso” also works, but I would omit “fino” in this case.

“Ho corso alla stazione” definitely would be an error.

I think the difference between “ho corso fino alla stazione” and “sono corso alla stazione” is that in the first case, I am saying that I went to the station, all the time running, while in the second form, I am saying simply that I ran (hurried) to the station.

6 Likes

This explanation is very helpful. Mille grazie @mike-lima

1 Like