Il suo viso era bianco.

English Translation

Her face was white.

Just checking: would volto work here?

2 Likes

Ciao @morbrorper. How interesting; when I enter “Il suo volto era…” it gives me “His face was…” but “la sua faccia era bianca” seems to work.

Aspettiamo eh!

2 Likes

“Viso”, “volto” or “faccia” could all be used here.

“Faccia” also means the side of an object (or geometric solid) and when used for the face of a person, it may feel a bit rude, or at least very direct.

8 Likes

Thanks so much @mike-lima. I’ve always wondered whether to use the one or the other. I’ll keep to viso or volto to be safe.

4 Likes

@Floria7 it is not a big deal if you use “faccia”, but of the three words we discussed, it is the only one that can be used in an insult or negative connotation.

For example a “faccia da schiaffi” is a person with a face that ought to be slapped, an arrogant person or a smartass.

A “faccia di bronzo” is someone that can lie easily and without remorse, or someone that can get away by saying something outrageous.

“Essere presi a pesci in faccia” means to be treated in an insulting manner.

On the other hand there are also neutral expression that require the use of “faccia”,
like “faccia a faccia” (face to face).

8 Likes

Grazie. These faccia phrases are an eye-opener, and the “faccia di bronzo” will come in very useful;-)

I’ve just remembered we have a wet-fish phrase, for when something is good… It’s “Better than a slap in the face with a wet fish!” Nice one!

6 Likes

[details=“English Translation”]Her face was white.[/details] Yes, love that fish in the face one. Spero che no ho una faccia da schiaffi! Another good one!

2 Likes

And let’s not forget these guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaZrAjkBhlM

1 Like

@sindaco, mi ha fatto il giorno! One of the best clips of all time😂

1 Like

Yes, that was hilarious…hadn’t seen anything from those guys in ages. Didn’t realize it was a competitive sport. I am headed straight to the fishmonger to get something to practice with.

2 Likes

Don’t know if it is feasible, but it struck me that that video might be a good choice for a new level up reward. Just a thought…@Mike , referring to video above posted by sindaco

3 Likes

Fish-slapping may have been a long Italian tradition, but of course the British were the ones making a competitive sport out of it! :smiley:

4 Likes

What a great suggestion for @mike. Much as I love Kevin Bacon and Green-tie man, some Python would be meraviglioso! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Something new, might be nice to inject some fresh ones…and when Michael Palin pulls that big fish out, it is so silly, but it is hard to imagine anyone not laughing. Especially as an unexpected new video.

2 Likes