Ich warne Sie, dass Sie gefressen werden werden.

English Translation

I’m warning you that you will be eaten.

Something rather strange has happened with this over at Tatoeba.

This German sentence was original, and then the English was added as a translation. This was in 2011.

In 2019, the Tatoeba user called Pfirsichbäumchen (what a lovely name!) asked whether the English had some other meaning - “Is there a figurative meaning to this? Or is someone quite literally about to enter a lion’s den? :blush:”.
This was on the Tatoeba page for the English sentence -
I’m warning you that you will be eaten. - English example sentence - Tatoeba

Someone replied that the English was a translation, and that “Perhaps the German is strange too”. At that point, Pfirsichbäumchen went over to the original sentence, unlinked the two sentences, and then completely changed the German one so that it now reads -

“Ich warne Sie! Der Chef frisst Sie auf, wenn Sie da jetzt reingehen! Tom hat er eben schon zusammengestaucht und entlassen.”

Ich warne Sie! Der Chef frisst Sie auf, wenn Sie da jetzt reingehen! Tom hat er eben schon zusammengestaucht und entlassen. - German example sentence - Tatoeba

Now this new sentence might be a fine addition to the Tom story, but I don’t see why there was any need at all to change what was there before or unlink the two sentences.

(N.B. I’d just gone over to Tatoeba to see if there was any discussion about the use of werden werden rather than just werden).

1 Like

I think this sentence has correct grammar, and it gets the meaning across.
But then, something’s weird about it.

The double “werden” is correct. The first is for the passive (be), the second is for the future (will).

If you leave out the second werden, it is also correct, but then it means “you are eaten” instead of “will be eaten”.

3 Likes