Ich hätte gern eine Limonade.

“Pop”…is this translated into midwestern dialect? I haven’t heard this word since I lived in Ohio.

Now this is translated as “Lemonade” but I’m pretty sure this is misleading, like the word CAN refer to this but “Limonade” also frequently refers mainly to carbonated soft drinks, like soda, pop, etc. So it’s important to teach this in a way that gives people a heads-up to this usage. I preferred the older sentence with the translation “pop”.

“Pop” is common in Canadian English, but in many parts of the US, “pop” is unheard of and is referred to as “soda” instead. The dict.cc entry for “Limonade” indicates that it can be used as you suggested, meaning anything from lemonade to coke to any kind of carbonated beverage: dict.cc | limonade | English Dictionary - this is confusing, given how close it looks to the English word “lemonade”.

Also mildly confusing is that “Limo” is listed as an umgangssprachliches Synonym for Limonade, which is confusingly similar to the common abbreviation “limo” in English, short for “limousine” (though pronounced differently in German of course).

1 Like

I think there has been a change in the use of the word “Limonade”.
It is true, the definition in the law for foods is very broad.
My father would have used “Limonade” for all sweet carbonated beverages, but never for a “Cola”.
Today, it is more common for the homemade stuff and companies are trying to sell “old style” beverages under this title.
So, if you order a “Limonade” today, you are more likely to get a “Bionade” or something “retro” made of rhubarb or the like than a “Fanta” or “Sprite”. Definitively no waiter will bring you a coke.

2 Likes