Ich habe gehört, dass er die Prüfung bestanden habe.

[details=“English Translation”]I heard that he passed the exam.[/details]Why habe not hat?

1 Like

Because it’s hearsay?

1 Like

I hadn’t noticed this use of habe until you mentioned it @danielportersax. As @morbrorper alludes, it’s probably is because the speaker has doubts about the veracity of the statement (i.e. indirect speech: I heard someone say this thing - I don’t know if it’s true or not), which is expressed like so:

Present

ich habe
du habest
er;sie;es habe
wir haben
ihr habet
sie;Sie haben
3 Likes

Yes, I had a feeling too that it’s subjunctive.

As an anecdote, for French learners, when it is used, subjunctive also often translates uncertainty (eg: “Je crains qu’il ne soit malade”, I fear he might be ill - but it isn’t certain.)

4 Likes

The root of the German verb “bestanden” is “stehen.” “Stehen” means “to stand.” The prefix “be-” in “bestanden” indicates a successful or completed action, so “bestanden” specifically means “to have stood” or, in the context of an exam or test, “to have passed.”

Here are some other prefixes used with the root verb “stehen” to create different meanings:

1. verstehen - to understand

• Beispiel (Example): “Ich verstehe die Frage nicht.” (I don’t understand the question.)
  2. feststehen - to be established or certain

• Beispiel (Example): “Es steht fest, dass er gewonnen hat.” (It is certain that he has won.)
  3. überstehen - to endure or survive

• Beispiel (Example): “Die Pflanzen haben den Winter gut überstanden.” (The plants have survived the winter well.)
  4. entstehen - to arise or develop

• Beispiel (Example): “Ein neues Problem ist entstanden.” (A new problem has arisen.)
  5. vorstehen - to lead or be in charge of

• Beispiel (Example): “Er steht einer Abteilung vor.” (He is in charge of a department.)

These prefixes modify the base verb “stehen” to create various meanings and applications in different contexts.