Ich habe dir befohlen rauszukommen.

This is translated “I ordered you to get out.”I’m curious because “rauskommen” looks superficially in English like “come out”, but in English, if you say “come out” it implies (pretty strictly) that the speaker is NOT in the same place as the person you are speaking to. So for example you could say: “Come out!” to a person in their house, telling them to come outside when you are outside. But if you are also in the house with them, you cannot say “Come out!” as this would make no sense. However, there is also additional meaning in saying “Come out!” in that you are communicating that it is important for the person to come to you

In English, saying “Get out!” however, is ambiguous in this regard. You could say: “Get out!” when you are in the house with them, meaning that you want them to leave or go away. But you could also say “Get out!” when you are already outside the house, yelling to someone else to get out. But the emphasis in this situation is not on them coming to you, but rather, leaving. So, you might happen to be the place they are going, or you might not, but the importance is on them leaving the place.

I’m curious how this corresponds to the German word.

The translation is not right, it should be ‘come out’. What you write about ‘come out’ is true for rauskommen as well.

1 Like