Ich habe die Bestellung bestätigt.

English Translation

I confirmed the order.

I work with translation hidden. My choices included both ‘bestätigt’ and ‘bezahlt’ which I think both work well.

Couldn’t the sentences be constructed s.t. only one answer is correct in part-of-speech, conjugation, or make sense?

Meh, why grumble, I suppose bestätigt is idiomatic and bezahlt might better be:
“Ich habe für die Bestellung bezahlt” (???)
Deepl, ChatGPT, nor llama3 would give me a ruling.

I’m not sure I understand what you want.

To “confirm” (“bestätigen”) and to “pay” (“bezahlen”) are entirely different words.

You can both confirm an order and pay for an order, yes. But if you’re tasked to translate “confirm the order”, only one of these two words is correct.

2 Likes

The app offers the ability to hide the translation. I think it’s important that this feature should ideally provide value by allowing users to determine the correct answer based solely on the prompt and available options.

I’m swayed by an argument that says “choose the most idiomatic phrase” or choose the word that makes the most sense, but if the prompts provide two equally good responses, then there’s no way to figure it out other than to reveal the translation.

I’m requesting, for example, that when choosing the options for the set of responses to a given cloze, any answer that is equally “good” to the actual answer be rejected and a new (random?) word be selected for the (wrong answer) option.

Then there’s a lot more value in hiding the translations.