Ich bin wegen dir gekommen.

“Deinetwegen” NICHT “wegen dir”. Did a Swabian write this?

I think you should start to consider the possibility that Tatoeba (where all sentences are from) does in fact include impolite, casual speech as well as regionalisms. Which partly stems from the fact that some Germans are in fact impolite, casual and use regionalisms :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I think you should consider the fact that people writing “wegen dir” risk losing marks in a formal exam.

2 Likes

If you’re studying for an exam Clozemaster might not be the right tool for you. Exams test very specific abilities in specific contexts, Clozemester seeks to improve general fluency as well as a natural use of the language. Language taught in school, university and courses is a completely different thing than language as used by its speakers.

7 Likes

Personally, I relish the odd matches between the German and the English translations. They stretch my mind into ‘thinking German’ because the same thought looks so different once it’s in words.And because it’s memorable, I remember it more easily.

3 Likes
English Translation

I came because of you.

I think that it should read:
Ich bin wegen dir gekommen, (Or) Ich bin dein(e) weg gekommen. Right?

“wegen dir” can be replaced with “deinetwegen”.
“deinetwegen” is even officially more correct, but “wegen dir” is very common and sounds less formal.

PS: oops I just noticed this thread is old.

I think there is a tiny difference.

Imagine your friend John recommends you a party. John doesn’t like the music there, so he stays at home, but he insists that you check out the party. Next day, you tell your friend John:

Ich ging wegen dir zur Party. (You recommended it to me.)

Now imagine, you haven’t seen your friend Anna for a while, but you know that she is at that party tonight. You don’t really want to go, but you want to see Anna, who is at the party, so you go. When you meet Anna at the party, you tell her:

Ich ging deinetwegen zur Party. (I wanted to see you.)

1 Like

Well, to me they are both equal and can be used for both meanings :man_shrugging:
I’m also often trying to come up with slight differences in nuance, but not in this case.

English Translation

I came for you.

It sounds like the distinction between “the loci of initiations and motives”.
“wegen dir” … doing something for your sake.
“deinetwegen” … doing something involving you for my own sake.

By the way, I think it is meaningless to dismiss any dialect or argue which is more authoritative, because each language is created through human habits at a specific time in history. An official language serves one purpose, and a local one serves another. :slight_smile:

I don’t know what that means :slightly_smiling_face:

wegen dir → You are the cause / reason of this event
deinetwegen → You are the aim (determined by me) of this event

It’s just my interpretation from your examples, not sure if it’s correct or not.

2 Likes