I miei amici dicono sempre che io sono troppo calma, però la mia famiglia dice sempre che sono troppo fastidiosa.

English Translation

My friends always say I’m too calm, but my family always says I’m too annoying.

Minor question…even if fastidiosa means annoying does it not also have the sense of being fastidious or meticulous. That meaning would seem to jive better with calm, and be perhaps a better translation.

5 Likes

Hi. Here I think fastidiosa means only *annoying, tiresome, bothersome. For *fastidious I would use *meticoloso. I took it that calm and annoying were totally opposed views by friends and family.

Be interesting to hear from our friend @mike-lima.

A dopo…

3 Likes

This is one of the false friends that trick learners on both sides.

In Italian “fastidioso” means annoying.

Fastidious could be translated as “pignolo”, I think, in the sense of “excessively meticulous”. Most people find fastidious people annoying. I wonder if that is the connection?

5 Likes

Yes indeedy, pignolo was the word I just couldn’t remember. I think sometimes too much “pignolo” can be annoying for some, we often call it “nit-picking” :wink:

4 Likes

I suspected that fastidioso might be a “false friend” so I checked before piping up and, in online translators at least, fastidious appeared to be listed as a less common definition of fastidioso than annoying, bothersome etc…to me fastidious is almost up-tight, which seemed more appropriate as a contrast to calm, but regardless, thanks much for the info!!!

4 Likes

@sjfree

I tried to check various dictionaries online; in the end I landed on this page that lists the definitions from three different (reliable) dictionaries:

All list “fastidioso” in the sense I gave, but they also have a second definition of “easily annoyed”, and also “hard to please”. The Treccani marks this second meaning as regional, while both the Garzanti and the Hoepli mark the meaning as “not common”.

This second definition is closer to some of meanings of “fastidious” although the overlap is not perfect I think.

There are other meanings, either no longer current or literary, but they are even less relevant in everyday conversation.

The fact that secondary meaning is regional may explain why I was not aware of it; maybe it is more commonly used in that way in some part of Italy.

Anyway, I think you’ll find that almost always the word is used in its “annoying” sense.

3 Likes

Thanks much for the explanation!! Non voglio essere fastidioso!

3 Likes