Ho trasportato oggetti di ferro, ma non ho trovato niente di più pesante di un debito.

[details=“English Translation”]I carried iron, but didn’t find anything heavier than debt.[/details] I sometimes run across a sentence that make no absolutely no sense and have to wonder if it is a non sequitor or if it contains an idiomatic phrase that I might need to recognize in my studies. Does anyone recognize this as something or is it just nonsense?

2 Likes

I think the intended meaning of the English sentence is something like “I have carried iron, but I find that nothing is heavier than debt.” Does that make more sense?

4 Likes

They often include quotes - from poems, songs, films, etc. Googling this lead me first to the feed for Kevin De Bruyner’s twitter page (I’m not a Man City fan, but I love KDB!)…and further looking into this revealed this seems to be part of a quote from one of the works of Imam Ali:

" I tasted all that is sweet, but I found nothing sweeter than good health. And I tasted all that was bitter, but nothing was more bitter than being in need of good people. And I carried both, iron, and rocks, but nothing was heavier than debt…"

4 Likes

Hi Hab638! I googled it and that is what I have got: i carried iron but nothing is heavier than debt - Google Search .

3 Likes

Hi hab638. Good to see you again. I concur with all the others.

In bocca al lupo with your studies!

Imam Ali quote: He who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare, And he who has one enemy will meet him everywhere. Written by a man who lived in 6th century AD but it sounds so contemporary. Brilliant!

1 Like

And more latterly “Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer”. (Corleone).

2 Likes

Google says it is Sun Tzu, the Chinese general who lived in 5th century BC who said that. So, niente è nuovo sotto il sole. Great discussion everyone!
`

But when Al Pacino said it, mamma mia, ho ascoltato;-D

2 Likes