Herregud, jag kommer komma för sent till lektionen.

English Translation

Oh my gosh. I will be late for lessons.

I can’t find any info on using “kommer komma.” All i could find was that “kommer för sent” meant “to be late”. So what part is the additional kommer playing, please?

I basically don’t know any swedish, but that looks to me like a future tense construction? with “kommer” as the auxiliary verb.
However, as far as a quick research shows, it is normally “kommer att <infinitive>” :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Thanks for trying. It’s not so much the tense as the Kommer komma. Never seen this verb (or any other, to be fair) repeated like that before and my Prismas / web dictionaries that i use are no help with this one.

Hopefully @Morbroper can come to the rescue!! :smiley:

As far as I understand, it’s literally “I(Jag) will(kommer) come(komma) too late(för sent) to(till) the lesson(lektionen)”

1 Like

@pitti42: your analysis is correct. I can only add that this sounds highly colloquial, as in writing one would probably notice the oddity and throw in an att inbetween.

Using kommer like this, without att, used to be considered bad Swedish until recently, but now you can see it even in respected newspapers, especially in headings where space is at a premium.

2 Likes

Thank you both! Can now see what @pitti42 meant. Have had a head cold for a few days and wasn’t really fit to be in charge of a keyboard!

2 Likes

I should add that in casual speech you are likely to hear “kommer å komma” (short å sound, indistinguishable from the casual pronunciation of och).

1 Like