Gli mancava un sacco.

The translation given is “She missed him a lot.”

I think it should be “He missed …”, and “She missed” would be “Le mancava”.

Or am I mixing things up again?

3 Likes

I could be confused as well, but I am agreed I would expect it to be “He missed [him/her/formal you/…]”.

Oddly enough on Tatoeba I can find only two instances of “Le mancava”
Le mancava suo figlio.
Per essere perfetta le mancava solo un difetto.

And many of “Gli mancava”, with under translations as well “he” as “she”.

I wonder if Guybrush88 just got confused with the English construction not corresponding to the Italian one (of which person is being missed by whom) when linking them, with e.g. this one and this one.

That is, if we’re not the ones who are confused after all of course.

3 Likes

Ciao ragazzi. I would have put He too.

“She/he was missing to him a lot” - gli.

A dopo:-)

Ps! The Euros footie - c’mon Italy! and at Queens Tennis vai vai Berrettini!

3 Likes

How about " he was missing a lot" as Reverso has it ? Completely different. Do we spend too much time on this Guybrush88? Just asking.

2 Likes

I think it’s always good to share opinions on these tricky bits. It helps grammar-wise and we get to “chat” a little. Nice!

2 Likes

I tend to take sentence structures as composed by native speakers on Tatoeba as being correct, with of course there still being room for regional variations etc.

However of course it’s clear that mistakes can still happen there, especially in translations, either because of something being a translation of a translation, a misinterpretation of the source sentence, or because of incorrect linking, since you can’t expect all contributors, or those who link sentences, to be native speakers in both languages involved.

But indeed, as pointed out by @Floria7, I find it very useful to discuss these things here, to get more clarity on such matters. And if for example we all find the translation/linking as it currently is provided on Tatoeba to be incorrect, it can be unlinked/requested to be changed there too, which will also aid non-Clozemaster users moving forward.

1 Like

Do we spend too much time on this Guybrush88? Just asking.

For reference, in the Tatoeba database there are 789,828 sentences in Italian which have an English translation.
Also for reference, in the Tatoeba database there are 522,046 sentences in Italian that are owned by GuyBrush88 and which have an English translation.
To put that in percentage terms, GuyBrush88 owns 66% of the Italian sentences for which there is an English translation.

Therefore, for a very large percentage of the time in Clozemaster we are learning Italian from English according to GuyBrush88 (he teaches on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, Tuesdays we have the blonde lady, and Thursdays is a random substitute teacher).

I do have a great appreciation for these people that contribute heavily to the Tatoeba database. I don’t want to criticise their efforts. From the point of view of learning a language, I don’t think that it’s helpful that we have such a singular view. On the other hand, we do have a large volume of sentences thanks to his contributions.

So, to answer your question, I’m afraid that when discussing sentences (Italian from English), a large part of that time will be sentences owned by GuyBrush88.

I’ve noticed that there is a similar situation in the French from English course as well. One contributor is heavily represented in the Clozemaster Fluency Fast Track course. This contributor owns just under 30% of the French sentences with an English translation, but they appear to be much more heavily represented in the Clozemaster course, probably showing up in French from English as much as GuyBrush88 does in Italian from English.

2 Likes

Just out of interest, I found this from a madrelingua:

Mi manca: “To me, he (or she, or it), is missed”… “I miss him/ I miss her/ I miss it”
Ti mancano: “To you, they are missed”… "You miss them.

Not “he/she misses me”, or “They miss you”-- those become (respectively):
Gli manco: “To him, I am missed”… “He misses me”
Le manco: “To her, I am missed”… “She misses me”
Li manchi: “To them, you are missed”… “They miss you”

Mi mancano i giorni in quel paese.-- “To me, they are missed, the days in that town/ country.” … "I miss the days in that town.

Ci mancate quando voi non siete qui.–"To us, you (all) are missed, when you (all) are not here. … “We miss you when you are not here.”

Hope you didn’t mind me posting this:-)

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I wish something could be done to those clearly wrong translations

2 Likes

Thank you for this, it really made me smile :smile:

Exactly, I think due to the nature of Tatoeba, for any language pairing, there’s likely to have been a huge amount of contributions at the start from one or a handful of enthusiastic and very generous and motivated people, which has then been supplemented over time. These contributors who account for the vast majority of sentences are of course only human in the end too - and anyone is likely to make a couple of mistakes, even just a simple typo, especially when translating/linking hundreds of thousands of sentences. Nonetheless, I am also immensely grateful for their vast overall contributions.

I had added this first too, but then wasn’t sure if it was helpful to others, it’s the same as the “piacere” construction, but reckon it can’t hurt indeed to add it :wink:

There is definitely a process on Tatoeba for correcting these matters.

While it seemed to me that it is definitely encouraged to also review sentences and sign off on them/comment on already translated sentences, I can imagine that most people are more excited about just contributing further/new translations for non-translated sentences, especially since there’s only bound to be mistakes in a fraction of a percentage of all translated sentences.

And equally, while it’s possible to add alternative translations, which would indeed be useful to diversify the overall catalog and could help highlight different regional versions/preferences for all, again the vast majority of sentences might not have alternative translations, so it might be hard to locate these specific cases to supplement them, unless you did targeted searches as a contributor with a different translation style (be it regional/slang/informal).

And also, naturally to prevent trolls, spam, or random editing, not everyone is immediately granted such powers on Tatoeba, rather only being able to perhaps comment at first, which can easily go unnoticed. I have to admit that I’ve still not managed to wrap my head around how to make useful contributions on Tatoeba, nor have I felt confident to even comment there yet.

For instance @morbrorper is able to unlink incorrect translations I think. And it is always useful to leave a comment on Tatoeba, even if you don’t have such powers, on the off chance that someone with powers might notice it and act upon it. As such, when reporting a mistake here, there is also always a link to the source sentence on Tatoeba.

3 Likes

This one’s a bit surprising; I would have expected gli or a loro, but it fits in with what was said in another thread recently. Is this some popular grammar flying under the radar?

2 Likes

I am now give this translation “He missed him a lot”. My radar is a bit tired this evening. All thoughts welcomed;-)

1 Like