Gato escaldado de água fria tem medo.

English Translation

Once bitten, twice shy.

Is this a legitimate saying in Portuguese? In English scald refers to a reaction with hot water, and my Portuguese dictionary also defines escaldar as a reaction to hot water. Escaldar - Dicio, Dicionário Online de Português

1 Like

Indeed, that definitely looks strange, so I checked on Tatoeba and Portuguese Wiktionary, and this is what I found : -

There is a Portuguese Wiktionary entry for a slightly different version, but where I understand the meaning to be quite different - gato escaldado tem medo de água fria.

The sentence also shows up on Tatoeba in these two forms -

1. Gato escaldado tem medo de água fria. (A scalded cat has fear of cold water).
  2. Gato escaldado, de água fria tem medo. (A scalded cat, of cold water has fear).

Now, if I had seen sentence 1 then that would make sense to me as an idiom.

If I had seen sentence 2, then I could probably make sense of that as an idiom with a strange (maybe poetic?) word order - i.e. it works for me if I read it in a Yoda voice (or should I say - :upside_down_face: “it for me works, if it in a Yoda voice I read” :joy:).

However, the sentence in this case here just looks confusing to me. If you insert a comma between escaldado and de then you get sentence number 2 that I referenced from Tatoeba, however as it is currently written without the comma … that just looks odd.

P.S. I also like the alternative that they have on the Portuguese Wiktionary page, cachorro mordido de cobra tem medo de linguiça - “a dog bitten by a snake is scared of sausages” :rofl:.

English Translation

Once bitten, twice shy.

Thank you zzcguns. I think that your sentence #1 is probably the idiom. As an idiom is still seems confusing and the translation to once bitten twice shy is a bit sketchy especially in a language lesson. I think it may be better to translate a idiom into straightforward language. With sentence #1 that might be the cat (or person) generalizes fears acquired from past experience.

1 Like