Farebbe felice tutti.

“She would make everyone happy.”

Why isn’t it felici (plural, to concord with tutti)?

1 Like

Perhaps it’s sentence construction di nuovo. Felice referring to her and not tutti. Just a thought, altrimenti non lo so.

A dopo…

1 Like

Interesting, I would indeed expect felici to match tutti, because it’s them that would be made happy by her, not her who is happy that she would make them happy (though she might also well be of course).

There are two linked English translations for this sentence, in this case He/she would make everyone happy and they were the only sentences I could find containing this construction.

Indeed other (singular) sentences do seem match “felici” to “tutti”, for example
Rendi tutti felici.
Renda tutti felici.

And searching for “farebbe felice tutti” or similar variations didn’t turn up much on Reverso, but turning it around and searching for Italian translations of “Make everyone happy” also seems to only turn up “felici” (as far as I can “preview”).

1 Like

Ciao @sindaco I again took it that she was doing the “making happy” so accepted felice. Mind you, I’m till troubled by the “dovrebbero/compiti” question so this is only imho:-)

Yeah I guess perhaps it’s one of those constructions where it can work both ways (he/she was “doing the action of making happy [singular] to individuals or people” or he/she was “making people’s states of being equal that of being happy [plural]”, with the form used in the former example (and the current sentence) being the less commonly used one.

English Translation

She would make everyone happy.

Perhaps the translator mixed up “everyone” with “every one.”

1 Like