Elle ne sait pas aligner trois mots en espagnol, et elle prétend avoir un niveau intermédiaire.

I apologise in advance for the length of this comment/posting.

Executive summary: incorrect audio, incorrect “Sentence Source”

This sentence and its translation appear to have had some changes, and therefore some things need to be tidied up. For reference in the discussion forum, the French sentence should already be visible in the subject line of this post, and the English translation provided in Clozemaster is “She can’t put together three words in Spanish, and she claims she’s intermediate”. I should note that I do not have an issue with the translations as written - the English and French sentences do appear to be an appropriate pair of translations.

Issues:-
The audio for this sentence does not match the written words. The audio is for Tatoeba sentence #1022845
The “Sentence Source” also links to Tatoeba sentence #1022845.
For reference, Tatoeba sentence #1022845 begins “On peut ne pas savoir aligner …”.

The English sentence that is provided as the translation is Tatoeba sentence #2040230. In the notes on Tatoeba for this English sentence, there is a discussion from 2016 to the effect that the original French sentence #1022845 is not an accurate translation, and consequently the decision was taken to unlink these sentences.

Therefore, this sentence is now orphaned as there is no Tatoeba sentence with which to link it with the current translation (i.e. nothing exists in the Tatoeba database to which one could point “Sentence Source” for the current translation as written “Elle ne sait pas aligner trois mots …”).

It might be appropriate to simply unlink “Sentence Source” (I’m not sure if there is an appropriate ‘null link’ to which it could be pointed.

The audio for this sentence does need to be corrected though.

Now, I should also point out that there are two similar sentences (French/English) in Tatoeba that are linked. Instead of the English sentence “She can’t put together three words in Spanish, and she claims she’s intermediate”, Tatoeba sentence #7998501 has the words “She can’t put two words together in Spanish, yet she claims that she’s at an intermediate level”. So, these are effectively the same sentence but with the newer sentence referring to “two words” instead of “three words” (oh dear, it appears that her level of Spanish has deteriorated!!).

There is a corresponding French sentence #8602361 with the words “Elle ne peut pas aligner deux mots en espagnol, et pourtant elle prétend avoir un niveau intermédiaire” which is close to the current wording of this sentence (i.e. the subject line of this forum post) in the Clozemaster database. I am only intermediate in French myself (although in my case I can put together three words), but I would question whether pouvoir or savoir should be used to translate “can’t” in this context (be able to / know how to). Someone with a greater level of expertise in French might be able to let me know why pouvoir is better than savoir in this case.

For the purposes of the Cloze word in the Fluency Fast Track (aligner) the alternative newer sentences would be acceptable substitutes.

To summarise:-

1. The audio for the current sentence is incorrect, and the “Sentence Source” points to the wrong place. This could be corrected by updating the audio to match the written words, and unlinking the “Sentence Source”.
  2. Alternatively, this sentence pair might be better replaced with Tatoeba sentences English: #7998501 / French: #8602631 which would allow for consistency with keeping sentences linked to Tatoeba, and if this were deemed to be appropriate then they should also be provided with updated audio.