È stato in piedi?

English Translation

Have you been up?

The English sentence here does not match the only English translation on Tatoeba.

On Tatoeba the English translation is “Did you stand up?”.

That English sentence on Tatoeba (i.e. “Did you stand up?”) is the original from which the Italian sentence is derived, and moreover, both the English and Italian sentences are by the same Tatoeba contributor GuyBrush88.

I therefore have no idea why the English translation on Clozemaster is “Have you been up?”.

In my opinion, the English translation on Tatoeba gives a much better clue as to what the Italian sentence (and cloze word) should be.

I have reported this with the little red flag and asked that it be changed to the original.

3 Likes

Ciao @zzcguns - hmm, I read this initially as “Was he standing?”

A funny old sentence. I agree with the little red bandiera.

4 Likes

Yes, it can mean “have you been standing up” or “has he been standing up”.

If I had to translate “have you been up?” to Italian I would have used “Sei stato (rimasto) alzato?” (that is, not laying or sleeping).

4 Likes

That was exactly my first thought on reading the English. I had an image of someone who was still in bed at midday, and someone else asking if they had been in bed all morning or “Have you been up?”.

Then I thought of some people at the bottom of a tall tower. One person tells someone that there are fine views from the top of the tower, and the second person therefore asks of the first person “Have you been up?”.

The closest that I could think of to the idea of standing up would be in the situation where people were sat down waiting for their turn to collect some item or see someone (e.g. in a church where people might go up to receive a blessing or communion), and in that case they might be asked “Have you been up?”. However, even this case is still not really about standing up.

3 Likes
English Translation

Did you stand up?

For information - the English translation has now been changed to “Did you stand up?”

4 Likes