È rimasto fedele ai suoi principi.

“He remained steadfast to his principles.”

I believe the meaning changes depending on where you lay the stress on “principi”. The audio stresses the first syllable, meaning “princes”.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/principi#Italian

3 Likes

Ciao morbrorper. Hai ragione, Google “how to say” tells me it’s princìpi. It comes naturally to say prìncipi doesn’t it, but after repeating it at least five times, I got it.

Thanks for highlighting this. I would probably have missed it! Tanti auguri e stammi bene…

2 Likes

This seems to have been corrected. I was just wondering if the word could not mean he remained steadfast to his “princes” too, if changing the pronunciation.

1 Like

Interesting sindaco! On several sites the accent seems to be the same, “princìpi” (oops, I’m repeating myself here, sorry). Perhaps we’re talking about Charles e i suoi principi W e H;-)

A dopo…

1 Like

I can still hear both Carla and Giorgio saying “prìncipi”. :thinking:

Ah, I have sadly lost access to Giorgio and Carla due to some browser issues recently, so I had the system voice, and I guess I mistakenly assumed it had been corrected for all.

3 Likes

@morbrorper e @sindaco Chatting on our Italian Forum, our madrelingua gave us this as a reminder so I thought it worth posting:

“Tutti i prìncipi devono avere dei princìpi”.

So perhaps Carla e Giorgio are in gamba here;-)

4 Likes