Du hast mir den Kopf verdreht.

Leo.org has this idiom translated as “to turn someone’s head”, which in English means to influence someone’s behavior, with a connotation of often implying that you have made the person become conceited or arrogant.

This is very different from the translation given here, “You made me lose my mind.”

Can the German idiom also mean this? Or is leo.org wrong? Or is this sentence wrong? I’d appreciate it if a native speaker could chime in.

I have just realized, love and relationsship is a topic where my vocabulary is really bad. And i do not know if “You made me lose my mind” is used in this context in English. I expect it to be used in this sense, but i don’t know.
“Du hast mit den Kopf verdreht” is used to tell that you are head over heels with someone.

1 Like

Ahh that makes sense. You CAN use “You made me lose my mind.” in this way in English, and it would probably be clear from context if you said it. But when I see / hear the context in isolation this is not where my head goes.

In English it can also mean all sorts of other things, like “You made me feel like I was going crazy.” or “You made me lose self-control (and act out of stupidity, foolishness, anger, any number of other things.)” and I think these other uses may perhaps be a bit more common.

Usually in English if someone is going to say that they are head over heels with someone, or really attracted to them, in this way, they’ll instead say: “You drive me crazy.” or “You’re driving me crazy.” (Like the Britney Spears song, or the 50 cent song, or Love Song by SWV, definitely a recurrent theme in music) Of course, “You are driving me crazy” can also mean “You are really annoying me.”

The more I think about this the more I realize how complicated language is haha.

1 Like

Okay after mulling this over and also consulting with an experienced German translator, I think I’ve come up with a better idiom in English: “You swept me off my feet.” I think I’m going to add this to Tatoeba.

1 Like