Długo się nie widzieliśmy z Tomem. (Question)

Some advice please. The English translation is given as ‘Tom and I haven’t seen each other for a long time’. Should it be ‘We have not seen Tom for a long time’? Thanks!

“Tom and I haven’t seen each other for a long time” is a correct translation here.

The little particle “się” changes a lot, as it introduces the aspect of reflexivity / reciprocality. While “widzieć” alone means “to see somebody”, “widzieć się” means “to see each other” (not in the romantic sense) or “to meet up”.

For reference, here’s a post on the reflexive “się” I’ve written some time ago: The Beginner’s Guide to Polish Reflexive Pronouns and Verbs

1 Like

Ah … thanks, I really wasn’t sure about this sentence. I understood the reflexive part of the sentence ‘nie widzieliśmy się’ as in we haven’t seen each other, it was the ‘z Tomem’ part that threw me. I originally translated this as ‘We haven’t seen each other for a long time with Tom’ but of course that doesn’t make any sense. I wasn’t familiar with the structure of adding the z + instrumental to express whom you (mutually) met with. Thanks for clearing this up.