Disperse (a little) the repetition dates please

Thanks for letting us know! I suspect the Easy/Normal/Hard buttons are being handled differently like @morbrorper mentioned - we’ll check it out!

1 Like

Thanks. That is great.

I have another suggestion if I may.

If I get it right, your are currently picking the fuzz from a set list of 3 options: -5%, 0, +5%.

Probabilistically, that will split a stack of identically scheduled review into 3 equal-ish stacks.

If you are programming in Python, importing the randint() function from the random module allows a much better dispersion. The randint() function returns a random integer from the specified range, inclusive on both ends.

fuzz = ceil(0.05 * interval)
interval += random.randint(-fuzz, fuzz)

Therefore, if the interval is 100, you’ll get an integer range of -5 to +5, so 11 possible outcomes, and a much better dispersion of the initial stack into 11 stacks instead of 3.

A better cluster buster.

1 Like

Thanks for all the input! A fix is up for Easy/Normal/Hard control next reviews. Please let us know if you’re still not seeing any fuzzy next review dates. :slight_smile:

If you’re willing to share, how frequently do you look at the next review dates? Why / what do you do with that information? I tend to not pay attention to them too much, especially as they get into larger intervals.

Agreed! I was thinking the same thing - the Obsidian algorithm random_choice({ -fuzz, 0, +fuzz }) suggested picking one of the 3. It wasn’t clear why, but figured they must have a good reason and thought we could try something fuzzier in a next iteration. That next iteration is now up :slightly_smiling_face: The fuzz should now be applied in a range from -5% to +5% like you suggested (so more possible outcomes / dispersion).

2 Likes

Maybe not so often, after all. It’s only now that we’re trying to evaluate the fuzzing that the exact date is interesting. There are other things that are more important. :wink:

1 Like

All seems to work great now! Congrats and many thanks.

Like @morbrorper, I’d prefer to see the actual future review date, which means, by the way, that when I face the Easy/Normal/Hard choice, I would see the 3 possible (color-coded?) date outcomes.

1 Like

I suspect that the fuzz is not being applied when one sets the mastered percentage explicitly in the Edit Sentence dialog, say to 75%. If that is the case, I hope it’s an omission and not by design.